new hardware wizard nightmare

Howling Mad Murdock 20:18 24 Jun 2003

I just got a new, PC Line USB mouse from PC World, it came with a floppy disc to install the dirvers which i've done. But the new hardware screen keeps coming up, there is only an exe file on the floppy so i can't as a result point it to any .inf files.

Anyway to turn off the new hardware wizard? This is really bugging me as it comes up something like every half hour even if i cancel the thing, and the mouse works perfectly fine as it is.

jimv7 20:28 24 Jun 2003

Try uninstallin the mouse and restarting the computer.
With most mice (xp if you have it) supplies its own drivers.

Valvegrid 20:29 24 Jun 2003

Have you double clicked on the exe file? It should install the driver to a folder which will contain the inf file. Then the in the new hardware window you should be able to point the machine to the inf file in the newly installed folder.

Paul.

Valvegrid 20:29 24 Jun 2003

Have you double clicked on the exe file? It should install the driver to a folder which will contain the inf file. Then the in the new harware window you should be able to point the machine to the inf file in the newly installed folder.

Paul.

Valvegrid 20:32 24 Jun 2003

Sorry about the echo, don't know what happened there.

Howling Mad Murdock 20:35 24 Jun 2003

I've installed the exe file already, but the window just keeps coming up, and if i let windows pick a driver, it just selects a logitech mouse driver, which of course is no good to me.

jimv7 20:48 24 Jun 2003

Then its propably a 'rebadged' logitech mouse, made for pc world.

Let windows do its thing and then if it does not work put the drivers in.

Valvegrid 21:00 24 Jun 2003

You havn't mentioned what O/S your using?

Howling Mad Murdock 21:02 24 Jun 2003

Win XP

Valvegrid 21:06 24 Jun 2003

OK, I'm not familiar with XP, maybe jimv7 is so I think his advice will be more valuable.

Good luck

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?