new hard drive req -advice please

holly polly 18:17 21 Jul 2003

hi had nothing but trouble with the hard drive in my system ,thought i would swap it for a higher capacity and faster drive ,the only thing is i am confused i have seen drives advertised at aia133,uide133 ,2mb cahe ,8mb cache-what does all this mean and which one is correct for my system ,the comp is a amd athlon 700 ,512mb of sdram the motherboard is a gigabyte ga-7ixe,and the hard drive is an internal on ide 0 ,As usual all help is greatfully recieved ,much obliged-Hol POL...

holly polly 18:20 21 Jul 2003

ALSO FORGOT to mention looking at the seagate and maxtor drives would appreciate any feedback on either model ,thanks -Hol Pol..

jazzypop 18:31 21 Jul 2003

click here for a comprehensive guide.

Personally, I would always choose Maxtor over Seagate - but others will undoubtedly have different opinions :)

The 'one that is correct for your system' is one that matches your ability to pay for it, has the storage size and speed that you need, and is able to take advantage of the capabilities of your motherboard (see the manual that came with your mobo).

Sorry if that sounds a bit vague, but I have no idea whether you can afford (or need) a 160GB monster, or a 40GB tiddler.

davidg_richmond 18:31 21 Jul 2003

You motherboard only supports up to ATA-66, you can use an ATA-100 or 133 but you will not get the extra speed out of it, unfortunately. The cache size increases the speed as the HD can hold information it thinks Windows wants before it asks for it, and also smoothes out any bottlenecks.

Seagate and Maxtor are two very good manufacturers, Maxtor are usually a little cheaper so I would go for them, personally. Go for a 2Mb or 8Mb cache ATA-100.

holly polly 21:54 21 Jul 2003

ok got the info been on many sites looking at hard drives and i am none the wiser ,do i have to use a ata rated hard drive will the other types work ? obviously price and value for money is a issue though what is the diffrence between IDE,UIDE,UDMA100,EIDE,ATA100 0R 133,BECAUSE I CAN PICK A DRIVE UP THOUGH IT IS NOT ATA 100 BUT LARGE CAPACITY WILL IT GO ON MY SYSTEM?cheers -hol pol...

Bodi 22:04 21 Jul 2003

Maxtor have apparently been taken over by Fijutsu, I won't be buying any more of their drives in future.

I have just bought - not yet arrived - HITACHI/IBM 180GXP 120GB 8.5MS drive for £70.00, which I thought was a good buy. I believe these used to be IBM - so are good drives - er or should be lol

Bodi

BillEmm 22:08 21 Jul 2003

Be aware that many modern disks are 7200rpm which generate quite a lot more heat than the previous 5400rpm products.

Therefore ensure your cooling can adequately cope with this excess else you may be faced with an early failure.

Just a word of caution.

holly polly 22:10 21 Jul 2003

ok bodi thanks for info though it doesnt answer my question ,can some body please explain the diffrence and the pitfalls between these drives and wether they are all compatiable with my comp .cheers hol pol...

holly polly 22:21 21 Jul 2003

my question is wether it be a IDE,UIDE,UDMA,EIDE.ATA,IS IT COMPATIABLE WITH MY COMP,I AM AWARE OF THE RUN SPEEDS,IT IS JUST THIS PREVIOUSLY I DONT UNDERSTAND,IT IS VERY VERY VERY CONFUSING ,ONCE AGAIN I APPEAL TO SOMEONE OUT THERE TO ENLIGHTEN ME{CALL ME THICK IF U WANT DIFFRENT MANAFACTURERS SEEM TO DESCRIBE THERE HARD DRIVE AS UDMA OR EIDE {DOES IT ALL MEAN THE SAME }OR IS THERE A DIFFRENCE,CHEERS -HOL POL...

BillEmm 22:27 21 Jul 2003

All IDE/EIDE drives will run on your machine.

ATA & UDMA are basically the same thing but for a good explanation of it all:

Try

click here

holly polly 22:46 21 Jul 2003

a big thankyou for the reply now i know,,due to the spec of my comp do u think is worth going for a 7200rpm or shall i stick with 5400rpm? the comp spec is stated previously,all i am after is a cheap reliable ,resonably fast hard drive,preferbally 60 gig or above,cheers hol pol....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)