new hard drive

John_pier 12:28 08 Mar 2004

I'm thinking of adding a new hard drive - 60-80 MB on ME. Does data transfer software come with the new drive?
John

Gongoozler 12:34 08 Mar 2004

Hi John_pier. Usually a hard drive comes on its own, especially if you get an oem version from somewhere like Ebuyer or Dabs, but you may be able to download a transfer utility from the manufacturers web site, such as MaxBlast from Maxtor click here

Sheila-214876 13:28 08 Mar 2004

xxcopy from click here will copy everything from your existing hard drive to the new one. You will also need to get a boot disk from click here to fdisk, partition and format your new hard drive. Once you have done that install your new hard drive as a slave and run xxcopy to transfer everything across.

keith-236785 14:27 08 Mar 2004

ennuye, will that transfer the OS, and all registry settings as well?

i was asked to swap a small hard drive for a larger one, the only thing i could think of was norton ghost.

Sheila-214876 15:08 08 Mar 2004

Yes, xxcopy will copy everything from your existing hard drive to the new one. Once you have done that just make your new hard drive the Master and reboot. If you need a talk through, email me.

fly-chicken-fly 17:16 08 Mar 2004

I BOUGHT A WESTERN DIGITAL 8OGB 7200 WHICH CAME WITH SOFTWARE AND YES YOU COULD MOVE THE WHOLE CONTENTS OF YOUR OLD DRIVE TO THE NEW ONE BUT I NEVER BOTHERD (SORRY CAP'S) but i never did it as i started a fresh

John_pier 18:52 10 Mar 2004

Many thanks for all the info.
John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?