NEW HARD DISK FORMATTING

fullerbonks 10:06 09 May 2005

I have replaced my hard disk with a new Seagate. I also have bought a windows XP Home op system. I understand the seagate comes with soft format, but it will require formatting. I know the xp disk does partitioning but will it formatas well. Please help.

golfpro 10:19 09 May 2005

Yes it does, I recently formatted my Seagate external HD through my XP OS Tools>properties>hardware> Advanced, I think but you will find it OK

fullerbonks 10:37 09 May 2005

I should point out that this seagate is not a second disk, so I do not have any operating sys installed, that is why I want to format this one to enable me to install XP. My old harddisk packed up and has been removed.

Eric10 10:41 09 May 2005

If you are setting up XP from scratch then formatting either in FAT32 or NTFS is indeed an option within the setup procedure. I would always recommend NTFS unless you are dual booting with Win98/ME on the same PC.

fullerbonks 10:50 09 May 2005

Thanks Eric10. I will be partitioning in NTFS, but is this all the formatting that is required to complete the installation, and load my data.

fullerbonks 10:54 09 May 2005

Thanks Eric10. I will be partitioning in NTFS, but is this all the formatting that is required to complete the installation, and load my data.
thereason that I ask is my previous Maxtor which is no longer had to be hard formatted with a disk from Maxtor befor partitiong etc by the MS XP disk

Diodorus Siculus 10:55 09 May 2005

Yes, what you plan on doing will be fine.

You partition the disk and format as NTFS.

click here

fullerbonks 11:05 09 May 2005

Thanks Mate. your a toff and I'll give it a wirl

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough, a non-profit against sexual misconduct

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)