New Dell Laptop Battery won't charge

spras 15:14 24 Mar 2010

I just bought a new 3rd party laptop battery for my Dell Studio 1555 and it is refusing to charge it. In Windows it says 'plugged in, not charging' and on a reboot if comes up with an error message saying the battery will not be charged if I boot up. Seems to be a case of Dell building in a mechanism to refuse 3rd party batteries, is there a workaround for this?

Technotiger 16:06 24 Mar 2010

Try click here or similar if you can find in UK. External laptop battery chargers are not cheap though, and not all are suitable for Dell.

Technotiger 16:09 24 Mar 2010
  Paul-1379466 16:15 24 Mar 2010

I did buy a pattern charger for my DELL some time ago & the Laptop recognised this as a none DELL charger & refused to let it charge the battery but did allow the PC to run off mains.

I have however had no problems using pattern batteries which charge & work fine. I would contact the seller & see what they say. Sometimes a new battery that is low in charge can enter 'deep discharge' and require a bit of a zap to enable it to accept charge. They may have facilities to get the battery to accept charge which then will operate normally.

spras 16:19 24 Mar 2010

I don't really want to go down the root of buying an external charger, another £40+ on that kind of defeats the point of buying a third party battery in the first place

The battery is off eBay from China, so I doubt the seller can do much about it. I have no reason to think it's a dodgy battery, the seller was sound, the battery has 42% charge and the laptop is running off the mains fine while the new battery is in place. I've done a little research and it seems this is a purposeful ploy by Dell as opposed to an issue

Paul-1379466 16:26 24 Mar 2010

Your probably right, DELL may have done this, although I would still contact the seller as items off Ebay that are classed as 'new' should work. you may get a refund.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?