new computer old hardrive with windows 7

Ann MarieAnderson 11:06 08 May 2016

I got a new pc for my son for his birthday today without hard drive as I put his old hard drive in the new pc. on selecting it in the bios to boot from it its saying I need a boot file on start up. The operating system came pre installed on the hard drive so I don't have a disk can someone direct me on weather I can download the needed boot file onto a usb drive. I do have the coa sticker on the old pc. I start my work at 1 pm and want to try have it sorted before I go at 12.45. Thank you for any help given I appreciate it.

Secret-Squirrel 11:33 08 May 2016

...........a new pc............without hard drive..........I put his old hard drive in the new pc.

Sorry to disappoint you both but it's unlikely you'll ever get it to work. The new PC will have a different hardware configuration and that's what's confusing the Windows 7 on the old hard drive. Even if you do get it running, Windows activation will fail because your licence prohibits what you're trying to do and it'll stop working.

You need to buy a hard drive and a copy of Windows. You can connect the old drive to the PC with a USB adapter so your son can access his personal data such as music, videos and photos etc.

Secret-Squirrel 11:36 08 May 2016

I do have the coa sticker on the old pc

Ah, I've only just spotted that. You may be able to download the Windows 10 upgrade and use your Windows 7 key.

Old Deuteronomy 11:44 08 May 2016

Ah, I've only just spotted that. You may be able to download the Windows 10 upgrade and use your Windows 7 key.

Probably not, that will be an oem license tied to the old PC.

The only easy way to get the new PC running with the old harddrive, will be to do a fresh install of windows and you will need a new license for the new PC.

Ann MarieAnderson 12:14 08 May 2016

I am waiting on the new hard drive and windows 7 but they never showed up on time I just did not want to disappoint my son on his birthday. They will hopefully be here tomorrow and meanwhile he can play on my laptop for today. Thanks for the reply's I appreciate it.

Ann MarieAnderson 10:44 09 May 2016

I now have hard drive and windows 7 and install went smooth my next problem is no drivers for internet and the other devices Ethernet controller pci device sm bus controller 2 usb controller's

I do still have my usb memory stick to put the above items on but I need to know where to go and download them as I keep getting ones that say I need to pay to have the files. I'm sure someone on here can direct me to where I can download them for free. thanks for any help given.

Ann MarieAnderson 10:56 09 May 2016

looks like I located the msi driver and software disk it was taped to the inside of the pc box running that now so hopefully should be ok.

Old Deuteronomy 11:35 09 May 2016

For future reference the best place to go to download drivers is the hardware manufacturer's own website. They will have the most up to date drivers and you never have to pay for drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7T Pro review

Kristina Bold is a font based on a stroke survivor's handwriting

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures séries Netflix (2019)