New computer choice

nik69 20:30 11 Mar 2003

Hi, I am not sure if I am in the right room, but I'll ask anyway.
I want to buy a new desktop, and have pretty much decided on Evesham, after bad experience with Time Support.
I just dont know what to go for.
I run a small business from home, so have loads of mailing, business templates etc. Also loads of images will be on it. I don't need for games, and sometimes play music.
I currently have an AMD Athlon 1.4 ghz/ 256mb/40 GB, and it is running on XP Home, which I like, but occasionally freezes up, especially, when running Money for about 30 minutes. Would XP Pro be better?
I'd appreciate any feedback re this, Thanks

clayton 20:46 11 Mar 2003

Hi you have a good spec pc there why do you need to buy a new one,if you have loads of images & are worried about storage space you could always add an extra hard drive no need to purchase a new pc.

recap 20:53 11 Mar 2003

XP Pro is better than the Home version nik69. I would upgrade the Ram (and make sure it's DDR) as you say you will be using loads of images. A descent graphics card wouldn't come a miss for all those images. Possibly a slightly faster processor as well because of those images.

nik69 21:11 11 Mar 2003

you mention a decent graphics card, what do you suggest, and the reason I am getting a new one is because this one keeps having to be repaired. In last three years it's had 2 new motherboards,
new hard drive, and fan. I just don't trust it and my warranty has now run out. I am passing it on to my daughter.

clayton 22:12 11 Mar 2003

You didnt say what your budget was but heres a start click here
click here
click here click here

nik69 22:46 11 Mar 2003

budget is around £1200

wee eddie 22:49 11 Mar 2003

on much lower spec PC's.

For Office work. What you have is perfectly adequate. Maybe a little extra RAM, visit click here enter tha name of your PC in the relevant boxes and go for 512Mg if it's possible. It'll probably save you a fortune.

clayton 23:00 11 Mar 2003

Any of the Eversham pcs should do just get the largest hard drive & @ least 512mb of DDR memory just look through the links i gave you, the Nforce 2 motherboards are very good.

nik69 23:12 11 Mar 2003

Thanks,
I will definately be buying from Evesham, as I have been reading all the positive feedback here!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?