New build house has phone sockets but cat5 cable

hdjmings1 00:01 31 Mar 2018

Hello all my first post

Im new to home networking/home server, my house has phone sockets in living room, one by my front door (i think this is main plug if i had virgin phone line) have one socket in each bedroom too.

When i took the faceplate off they seem to have cat5 cable, i want to replace the phone faceplate with ethernet faceplate.

Now in living room behind the faceplate there are 2 cables (cat5), the one by the door is just a loop (looks like if i had a socket there it would be cut to make 2 cables), in one bedroom there is 2 cables and in other bedroom there is only one cable

I want to have ethernet in each room how could i use this existing cable in my network?

I have a windows home server in my shed/office where ethernet comes from the virgin router (in house) to a switch (in shed) to the rest of the network

Any help would be much appreciated

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:52 31 Mar 2018

Can you poast pictures of what is behind each face plate?

hdjmings1 16:11 31 Mar 2018

hdjmings1 16:12 31 Mar 2018

hope this helps

alanrwood 16:13 31 Mar 2018

Those are not ethernet cables. They are normal internal phone wiring. You can't use them for networking.

hdjmings1 16:43 31 Mar 2018

Oh my mistake they had same 4pair as eithernet (so i thought) so thought it was cat5 thank you for clearing up

wee eddie 17:10 31 Mar 2018

Investigate Homeplug. Should be suitable for your situation

alanrwood 09:48 01 Apr 2018

Although they have 4 pairs they are not all used so there are spare pairs if a fault occurs within the wall wiring.

hdjmings1 11:38 01 Apr 2018

Thank you all for your help, might put new runs in ill speek with the boss if not ill look into homeplug

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

The humble pint glass is redesigned from bottoms up by design legend Sir Kenneth Grange

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Quel est le meilleur antivirus pour Windows ?