Networking and Zone alarm

denchris 14:04 31 Jul 2003

PC running XP pro and laptop running XP home.
NTL BB thru Linksys router / switcher, 4 port.
We get BB fine, sharing fine ! how can I set up Zone alarm ? The moment I enable it sharing no longer works. the internet side is OK but we can not see each others files, printer etc. Can anyone help to overcome this ? be very grateful for advice --- please.

i found that if you temporarily disable zone alarm and make the connection before switching zone alarm back on the network connection will be recognised and all will be well.

Jean-Luc Picard 15:24 31 Jul 2003

Try using static IP addresses if not already doing so.

denchris 16:01 31 Jul 2003

make the connection ? it`s BB always on ! is that the connection you mean ?

Jean-Luc-Picard. Static addresses ? I dont know if I am or not, it uses DHCP and the address is always the same xxx-xxx-x-xxx.

I`m an old dog trying to learn new tricks, be gentle with me

Śamurai Ĵack ₪₪ 16:04 31 Jul 2003

Why would you need to use ZoneAlarm on your Client PC's if your accessing the Internet via a Router.. A Router is a form of Hardware firewall.

Chris the Ancient 16:23 31 Jul 2003

But does your router have a built-in firewall?

When I got my router, it had a firewall in it, but I left ZoneAlarm in to see if it picked up anything that ZoneAlarm missed. It didn't! So, I've ditched ZoneAlarm.

In ZoneAlarm you can set a 'range' of IP addresses in a 'from/to' zone (as I found out far too late). Include the full range of the last segment of address that your two puters are assigning from 0 - 255. Not 100% sure how I did that, and with ZoneAlarm gone, I can't help too much there. I think it was in the 'trusted zone' bit.

HTH

Chris

denchris 19:58 31 Jul 2003

Many thanks for the trouble taken.
I think ` Chris the Ancient `, pressed the right button, I put the Gateway address(router) in ZA trusted zone and the `door opened `. I simply! prefer ZA because I appear to be in more control of content I allow or not.
I had to type this twice as when I ticked resolved it promptly disappeared, ah well!
I am happy again :) Den

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough, a non-profit against sexual misconduct

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)