networking xp to xp need some help

©®@$? 13:13 16 Jul 2004

hi i have installed both netowork cards on both machines, and have them hooked up via the cable

i ran the network wizard, filled in the details and now im stuck!

to be honest i'm not sure what to do next, i was expecting to see a virtual hdd or something so i can copy stuff over to the other machine as i want to install antivirus to it that i have got on this machine etc..

so if someone could give me a little walkthrough that would be great as im sure ive gone wrong at some point

both machines have xp

©®@$? 13:17 16 Jul 2004

if i disable it and enable it on the cleint machine i get network cable unplugged but they are both in

©®@$? 13:24 16 Jul 2004

that message has gone away since i rebooted, i just need help configuring it

recap 13:32 16 Jul 2004

Did you disable the XP Firewall before setting up the network?

The cable you are using is a crossover one?
click here to see what one looks like.

Do a ping test to see if you can talk to each machine. To do this run a command prompt and type in ping 192.x.x.x . If you do not know what the IP address is of each machine at the command prompt type in ipconfig /all This will give you the IP address of the machine and it's NIC card address (Physical Address).

If you can ping each machine the network is there.

Open Network Neighborhood and navigate to the other machine from there.

©®@$? 13:44 16 Jul 2004

hi yes i have just desabled the firewall as i have got sygate installed..i have done a ping test and it gets a reply so it would see the connection is there, as i get the little tv's up on both machines with 100mbps connections

but if i try to connect to the internet on the client machine it doesn't work, and also i cant find where to get to the other machine..

a few pointers would be good thanks

©®@$? 13:44 16 Jul 2004

hi yes i have just desabled the firewall as i have got sygate installed..i have done a ping test and it gets a reply so it would see the connection is there, as i get the little tv's up on both machines with 100mbps connections

but if i try to connect to the internet on the client machine it doesn't work, and also i cant find where to get to the other machine..

a few pointers would be good thanks

vinnyo123 14:41 16 Jul 2004

dial up , DSL , Broadband ?

vinnyo123 14:44 16 Jul 2004

take a look here

click here

I would invest in a Router (cheap these days)Less confusion and gain a hardware firewall.

©®@$? 14:53 16 Jul 2004

dsl braodband, i have already got the network cards and cables, and as the computers are right next to each other i am not going out to by a router, coz when the time is right for the pc to be moved upstairs i will purchase a wireless modem/router

looking at that link now thanks

©®@$? 18:17 16 Jul 2004

im not having much luck with this...i managed to move some files from the host computer to the client, and i was able to access the cleints machine etc, but the clien machine couldnt connect to the host, it said something about permission, and also i was missing the internet connection sharing tab etc, on the network properties..so i did the wizard again, and now i have my ics tabs, but i cannot connect to the internet or share any files

so can someone please help me!

ive tried deleting the network and installing it again, but it wont let me delete it as delere is greyed out....

been at this all day, its supposed to be simple

Had a problem like this at first.I was using a crossover cable and my main machine would lose the network,or the second machine would,on switch off.Cured the prob by getting a 5 point hub and normal network cables,total cost was about £35.Then run XP networking wizard. My firewall Zonealarm didn't like it at first.I can now plug in my 2 desktops and play and share games/files and printer no problem.Remember to enable sharing on all your drives and printer.If you use cable broadband only the main computer can acccess the net,something to do with ip adddress so you'll need a broadband router which get's complicated and expensive.Have fun and stop the kids running up and down stairs with messages ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?