Networking my Sony Blu Ray

snowy30 01:03 27 May 2010

Hi, it's been a fair while since I posted on here last. Could someone give me some advice on home networking, please? Would I be better off with a 'Switch' or a 'Hub'? I want to connect my new Sony Blu-Ray 370 player to my broadband connection, the player is downstairs and the modem is upstairs so I would be needing a wireless connections, but which one would you recommend? The transfer rate needs to be at least 100Mbps from what I can make out from the manual. I would be needing an adapter too.

Thanks

mgmcc 08:02 27 May 2010

A network "switch" should always be used in preference to a "hub" but these are for *WIRED* ethernet networking.

If you are going to connect the player to the internet "wirelessly", and require a data transfer speed of at least 100Mbps, then you need to use an 802.11n Router and an 802.11n Wireless Network Adapter in the player both of which support a 300Mbps connection. Some 802.11n hardware is only 150Mbps which, in practice, may not deliver 100Mbps. You might have to use a dedicated Sony USB adapter in the player.

Having said that, I cannot see why the network needs to be "at least 100Mbps" when most people's internet connection is unlikely to be even 10Mbps.

snowy30 14:15 27 May 2010

Well, I was going by the LAN (100) for wired networking. I then assume it needs a 100Mbps connection for both wired and wireless connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?