networking in home

  [DELETED] 18:45 18 Nov 2003

just bought a new pc running windows Xp.
Under DEVICE MANAGER -- Network Adapters show 2 things :
- 1394 Net Adapter
- Interl(R) PRO/100 VE Network connection.

does this means that this new pc already installed with a network card ?thanks

  johnnyrocker 18:48 18 Nov 2003



  [DELETED] 18:48 18 Nov 2003

yes, have a look at the back for the RJ45 socket.if there isnt one then you may need to fit a bracket to a heder on the mobo, RTFM.

  recap 18:50 18 Nov 2003

Use one for your cable modem and the other for networking.

  [DELETED] 19:05 18 Nov 2003

i hv a look at the back of the CPU. Found just 1 slot with a card installed with a telephone socket on it , does it means i just need to install a network card for the old pc, connect both with a cable(is it similar to phone cable type?), & do some setting on my new PC which is running WINXP & i can start surfing internet & sharing document? thanks

  recap 19:14 18 Nov 2003

Use the networking wizard in XP once you have created the floppy off the XP machine run it on your other machine. Connect both computers with a crossover cable for file sharing. If you require BB sharing then use a router.

click here for further details.

  [DELETED] 20:15 18 Nov 2003

1394 Net Adapter is a FireWire port.

Intel(R) PRO/100 VE should be a LAN port. This looks like a bigger telephone connector.
It isn't normally in a slot position - more often on the main motherboard connection panel (but could be either)

Lan cable (Cat5) is 8 wire cable, quite a bit thicker than telephone cable, but easy to obtain.

There are a number of different ways to use this to connect your computers together and share the internet.

You could get a "crossover" cable directly between the two PCs, and use your existing modem


You could get a LAN/Router, which both PCs connect to and it then connects to the net.


You can get a Router which connects to a USB modem, and which both PCs connect to.


If you already have a modem with a LAN port you could get a Hub or Swtich, which both PCs connect to, and which the modem plugs into.

How you do it depends a lot on what you have now in the way of net connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Meet Superfiction, the little design studio with a load of character

Best Mac music-production software

Comment savoir si votre message a été lu sur Facebook & WhatsApp ?