Networking going wrong

sean-278262 19:42 29 Jun 2004

i must be missing something here because i have spent nearly 2 months trying to get my network to work.

i have 3 computers.they are all equiped with network cards 2 of which have on board and the other has been added too recently.2 run xp home and i want one of these to be the one where internet connection sharing occurs from, the other runs win 98 se.The systems are connected to a linksys "etherfast 10/100 5-port workgroup switch" by 3 category 5e cross over patch cables and are no more than 15 feet long.The whole lot has had the networking wizard run several times to no avail. my computer sees all three computers named when i go to "View workgroup computers", but any attempts to connect to the win 98 se system result in it just sitting and doing nothing till everything stops working, when i try to connect to the other xp machine the same thing happens.on the 98 se machine going into the network neighbourhood it displays nothing not even the "Entire Network" Icon. on the second xp machine it just says the computers name (Its Own One) and none of the others.I have checked all the lights and indicators and all are on on the switch and each computers network cards lights are on, on their respective cards.I have tried using the spare cross over cable to connect two of the systems namely the main xp machine and the 98se one to no avail. when i first connected these machines they happily sent a file to the printer and swapped a few files.what has changed since then?

mgmcc 19:50 29 Jun 2004

If you are connecting the PCs to a network hub/switch, you should not be using "crossover" cables, you should be using "straight-wired" patch cables. Crossover cables are used to connect two network adapters directly without a hub, switch or router.

spikeychris 19:50 29 Jun 2004

click here and have a gander at the netBIOS options.

sean-278262 20:00 29 Jun 2004

so is there any way i can solve this problem without having to take the cables back?Live in ireland and they are practically impossible to get hold of! so bouight them on holiday.

spikeychris 20:08 29 Jun 2004

Somethings not quite right, I lazy read the post and didn't notice the X over cable but you say "when i first connected these machines they happily sent a file to the printer and swapped a few files.what has changed since then?" Are you sure they are crossover cables?

sean-278262 20:12 29 Jun 2004

it says they are on two of them definately (Sticker saying they are), the other is in the attic and very difficult to get at. Annoyingly i asked at a forum about this and what to get and no mention of crossover cables was made just RJ 45s and a switch.

ARGH!!!!!!!

dougle540 20:36 29 Jun 2004

First of all, make sure all your network cards are installed properaly and working. Then go into the properties from the TCP/IP proticol and assign EACH computer an individual IP address (e.g. 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2 10.0.0.3), and on each computer a identical subnet address (e.g. 255.255.255.0 )

The IP address asigned to a computer, gives that computer a unique address (just like a postal address), and the subnet address gives the name of the network the computer/s are to run on, so for one home network the subnet should be the same. Last of all do not use crossover cabels when using a hub. THIS WILL WORK....EASY :O)

sean-278262 20:50 29 Jun 2004

i realise that i bought the wrong cable but can i do anything to solve this problem, the store i bought them from is 600, yes 600 miles away.A bit expensive to solve for a few cables.I need a way to fix the problem any software of stuff i can do to make this network work?i do wish people would read the full post and not cherry pick what they want to read.

cyberphobic 21:09 29 Jun 2004

I am confused about what cables you have, if they are crossover cables thay are not Cat 5 patch cables. 5 metre patch cables can be bought here click here for 1.79 + VAT + p and p. If they will solve your problem surely you could buy those and sell your crossover cables on Ebay rather than making a 600 mile journey?

cyberphobic 21:09 29 Jun 2004

I am confused about what cables you have, if they are crossover cables thay are not Cat 5 patch cables. 5 metre patch cables can be bought here click here for 1.79 + VAT + p and p. If they will solve your problem surely you could buy those and sell your crossover cables on Ebay rather than making a 600 mile journey?

spikeychris 07:51 30 Jun 2004

"i do wish people would read the full post and not cherry pick what they want to read." I take it that this comment is aimed at me. My answer was given with the right intention and I admitted lazy reading it. You say that the network worked with X over cables using a switch....this cannot be true. You would also do well to use the odd page break as the reading of the text is difficult.

That said, you have enough information to go on, I wonder if you will post a confirmation of success as fast as you bang out your wishes of "read the full post"

Cherry picking! mmmmmm

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?