Networking - a few set up questions

JonnieBoy 11:57 17 Dec 2005

Hi,

Have managed to connect Belkin wireless router to my main pc. Got it working ok.

New laptop bought this week, have managed to get it connected via the router so all seems to be working well.

Now for the stuff I don't know much about, how to get the 2 computers talking to each other:-

1) How do I access the programs on my main pc, can i copy them across to the laptop - thinking specifically of accessing MS Office, outlook, excel, word - want access to my inbox and all my docs

2) Have Norton installed on my main pc - do i need to install it on my laptop as well. How do i do this, was downloaded from the net on my main pc.

3) Any other security questions I need to address.

4) How do I access other stuff I have on main pc - thinking specifically of my betting accounts and poker sites !!

Any help gratefully received.

mgmcc 12:42 17 Dec 2005

<<< 1) How do I access the programs on my main pc, can i copy them across to the laptop - thinking specifically of accessing MS Office, outlook, excel, word - want access to my inbox and all my docs >>>

You cannot run *programs* installed in the remote computer over the network in the local computer. You can open Excel, Word etc files stored in the remote PC, but a copy of the program itself must also be installed in the *local* PC.

<<< 2) Have Norton installed on my main pc - do i need to install it on my laptop as well. How do i do this, was downloaded from the net on my main pc. >>>

With a router, internet access for both PCs is via the router so whatever Norton applications you have in one PC offer no protection to a second PC. As far as I'm aware, all current Norton products require "Product Activation" so you would need to purchase a second copy to be able to run it in the new laptop. Alternatively, use one of the several "free" applications, whether AntiVirus or Firewall.

<<< 3) Any other security questions I need to address. >>>

You need to enable WEP or WPA encryption, and possibly also MAC Address Filtering, to prevent unwanted access to your wireless network.

<<< How do I access other stuff I have on main pc - thinking specifically of my betting accounts and poker sites !! >>>

You don't! ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?