Networking... for cheapskates!

Boffin Boy 13:06 19 Nov 2005

Hello,
I have two PC's and soon a laptop and want to network them, I need to be able to share an internet connection (which is currently connected by a USB modem) and need all three of the computers to be able to share data between them. All I wanted to ask was is there a cheaper way than using a router etc.? If possible I would like to keep the price at around £30. I have looked into ad-hoc networking and think that this may be a good idea, however am not sure whether or not I am able to do this with three machines. I do not mind one of my PC's staying on whenever I want to use the internet. eBuyer (click here) have a good range of products at cheap prices, so I think that it can be done for around £30.

Thanks,
Daniel.

amonra 13:33 19 Nov 2005

click here Click her for a good cheap router solution

keewaa 13:41 19 Nov 2005

Are you on asdl or cable?

I'd highly recommend going down the router route, rather than trying to save £20.

for cable the netgear rp614 @£36 from amazon
for adsl the netgear dg834 @£52 from amazon (or for wireless laptoping the dg824G or GT @ £65 from amazon).

Boffin Boy 14:01 19 Nov 2005

I agree that it would probably be better to go down the router route, however if I did go down the cheaper route, what would be the disadvantages of this, and how could you do it.

Thanks,
Daniel.

Chegs ®™ 14:02 19 Nov 2005

I have been trying to get 2 machines thru my desktop in an Ad-Hoc network,its working fine but(there's always a but) only one machine at a time can connect to the desktop.I connect the 1st one,then add the second and the 1st gets disconnected.

keewaa 14:16 19 Nov 2005

Simplicity for the router: 30 minutes has it all up and running .. netgear have a very easy setup proceedure.

USB modems use up processor power. 1 PC has to be on all the time. You'll need 2 NICs in at least one machine. Apart from that I don't know as I took one look at this method and decided it wasn't for me, and went for a router.

Boffin Boy 14:59 19 Nov 2005

Thanks for all your comments...

In response to Chegs ®™'s comment, would I be able to stop this problem if I put two wireless cards in my "server" desktop? Or could I continue to use wired between my desktops and have a wireless card on my "server" desktop which communicates with the laptop's card, by doing this will the laptop be able to communicate with the wired desktop 2 (see click here)?

Thanks,
Daniel.

btw. I don't mind having to spend time tweaking with things until they are OK. Also just out of interest, what is the cheapest wireless modem router anyone can find?

Chegs ®™ 19:01 19 Nov 2005

I carn't answer that question,as I only possess one WiFi PCI card.I have 4 PCMCIA cards to experiment with but these only fit into my laptops.I am presently waiting for a plugin card for my modem/router(Wireless-Ready Gateway,that takes a particular type of PCMCIA card)arriving,it took awhile to find a suitable type card cheap but I bought one yesterday.

Boffin Boy 19:02 19 Nov 2005

If what I said above seems a bit confusing... I basically mean, will this (click here) work?

Thanks,
Daniel.

Boffin Boy 19:04 19 Nov 2005

Sorry Chegs, missed your comment then..
Only by 1 min!!!
lol

djtjuk 19:07 19 Nov 2005

There is some software available that lets you turn lots of thumbnails into 1 large picture by arranging them for you in a certain pattern. Does anybody know what this software is called? Someone said it could be a Photoshop addon? Thanks for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

6 great UX design talks you can watch online

How to jailbreak an iPhone or iPad in iOS 11 or iOS 10

Musique de Noël : les meilleures chansons en streaming