Networking Cables

  Grantrh 20:02 30 Oct 2004

I am looking to set up a wired network to share my ADSL connection between my desktop PC and a notebook. I have found an ADSL modem/router/switch: the linksys AG041 see click here
My question is what cables do I need to buy to connect the above to my Network interface cards and what are the cables called?
Also I have an AOL ADSL line, will this work to share the connecton?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

  LastChip 23:55 30 Oct 2004

It appears this router comes with two cables included. One for your telephone line connection and one for your computer (an RJ45 patch or straight through cable). It is the RJ45 cable that you need two of; one for each computer.

Certainly, the equipment will allow you to share your ADSL connection, but AOL have some strange (non-standard) protocols and there have been reports in the past, that AOL can be a problem. Whether this is still the case, I don't know.

  woodt 00:32 31 Oct 2004

You may need to read through this as well click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?