AJ28 19:23 01 Feb 2004

Iv'e got BT broadband with the modem here on my desktop pc, i also have a laptop and i want it networked so as i can use the laptop on the internet, share files, printer etc. Now i keep hearing different things of what i need so i need some help, i have the card in the laptop, a 'Belkin' but yet now i have many different ideas of how to do it, what do i need? and ive heard its not possible to have it so the pc doesnt need to be on for it to work with bt?

  mgmcc 20:39 01 Feb 2004

With a network adapter in both PC and laptop, they can be connected with a crossover CAT5 ethernet cable. By setting up Internet Connection Sharing in the PC with the broadband connection, the laptop can connect while the PC is running.

To be able to connect independently without having to rely on a 'host' PC being connected, you would need to use a router. As routers connect by ethernet to both the PCs and the modem, a USB modem cannot be used. You would therefore either have to replace the USB modem with one which connects by ethernet cable or buy a router with built-in ADSL modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?