Networked External hard drive - 1TB

Wavey75 12:50 20 Mar 2008

I have a western digital my book world drive and I backed my data up to it form my lasptop into a directory called "data".

I then continued to do a system restore on my hp vista laptop and after the formatting and image loading had finished, I installed the software to access my network drive to create this directory as a share, so anyone could access it.

I called the share 'data' and it called it 'DATA' in the wd access software, but now when I go to the drive there are 2 data directories, one called 'data' the other called 'DATA'.
The really wierd thing is BOTH DIRECTOIES AER EMPTY!

where has my 50GB of data gone?

Please could someone help - I know these drives/boxes have some sort of linux setup in the drive box, but I don't know anything about linux.

If I delete the share, will I be able to see my files I orginally backed up to the physical directory 'data'?

Please help, this had all my college work on it for assignments due soon and I can't duplicate them because there's not enough time.

Wavey75 10:10 28 Mar 2008

Ok, no one got this?

Well, after many days of stress and waiting for deliveries, I have resolved this now.

If anyone is interested I had to buy another drive that could hold and store all of my data on the 1TB drive, plug it into the existing drive and copy everything across.

While I was checking the drive, for some as yet unknown reason all my data was sudenly there!

Myonly cunclusion is that I used a idfferent pc to access both drives, but also a different account setup.

Apart from that, it's all fixed now. phew!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?