network solution?

  [DELETED] 12:29 30 Mar 2006

We are a small IT firm and running a small work group with a netgear dg834g wireless router. We have just moved to new premises and I am trying to get the router in our room. We moved to a new fully functioning networked office block and at the moment the wireless router is in the comms room about 20 meters away. We have a patch cable from the router to the switch board and then pick up the connection in our room via RJ45 port.

What I would like to know is, is it possible to use an adapter to change the RJ45 port in our room to a RJ11 port so we can use the router in our room because at the moment the signal strength is very weak, or can I have a cable made up with a RJ45 plug on the one end and a female RJ11 on the other?

Also, can i use an adapter to plug a patch cable into a bt phone socket?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

  [DELETED] 14:32 30 Mar 2006

1) Yes, RJ11 is the small brother to the RJ45 so an adapter would ensure the correct wires are connected.

2) We would all need to know the exact network configuration in your new office block, to know if it is even possible for you to daisy-chain off the switch-board, in the manner you describe, let alone advice how to install and set things up.
You _must_ speak with those responsible for the office block's network.

3) What are you trying to plug into a BT phone socket?

4) You scare me.

  [DELETED] 14:43 30 Mar 2006

Sorry for any confusion. When bt came and fitted a broadband line for us he placed the new plug socket in the comms room. At the moment i have the router plugged into a filter then into the bt socket, then a patch cable from the router to the switch board which enables me to pick up the connection in my room. In my room there are only RJ45 plug sockets. What would solve this problem is if bt had placed their socket in my room. So this what i am trying to ask, is there a way that i can use adapters to have a RJ11 female socket in my room which would enable me to have the router in my room.

I hope this makes sense. :o)


  [DELETED] 15:03 30 Mar 2006

Then I guess the switchboard is only for your firm and digital telephony signals are passed through your router?
Your switchboard might have ethernet traffic switch capability to enable you to string an ethernet cable out to your router for data traffic, but I doubt it.

If you can run a patch cable from the comms room to the switchboard, can you not re-site your router mid-way instead?

The RJ11-RJ45 is answered; but you need to ensure the right type of traffic is being passed through in the 1st instance.

  [DELETED] 09:24 31 Mar 2006

Do you mean your BT socket is just a regular BT phone socket which has been "BroadBand-enabled" for ADSL and is not an Ethernet RJ45 socket??
In which case, get a longer router-BT ADSL filter cable to be able to resite your wireless router.
But, you don't say anything about the switchboard ethernet connection; i.e. why is it connected to your router's Ethernet port rather then the BT ADSL filter's phone socket for analogue signals?

  [DELETED] 09:47 31 Mar 2006

Yes, the bt socket is just a regular bt phone socket that has been broadband enabled fo ADSL. The comms room where the socket has been in stalled also has the swithboard installed there for every office in the building. This is the setup: BT ADSL phone socket>bt filter>router>
1 patch cable to the switch board>(in the our room)patch cable to pc
2 patch cable to the switch board>(in our room)patch cable to pc
3 patch cable to the switch board>(in our room)patch cable to printer.

At the moment i can't use the phone line for calls also a very weak signal for wireless laptop. Hense why asked is there a way to get the router in the room.

Sorry for any confusion.

  [DELETED] 10:47 31 Mar 2006

If, patch cables 1 - 3 comes from your router, then it is _not_ a switch board but an ethernet switch box, isn't it?!
(i.e. no telephony involved, which is normally called a switch board or PABX).

The simplest way, I would suggest, is to get a good quality normal BT telephone extension cable.
Run that from the BT phone socket into your room.
Then connect your ADSL filter (which should have separate sockets for data and phone).
Connect your wireless router to the data socket.
Connect your 2 PCs and printer to the router (which now does not go via the switch box anymore).
And you should have good wireless coverage in your room,
plus have a socket to connect a set of DECT phones to it.

If I've understood you correctly.

  [DELETED] 11:00 31 Mar 2006

You have completely understood me and yes your correct it is an ethernet switch box.

Also, i think your suggestion is best possible solution.

Thanks for all your time in repling, just one more thing where would be the best place to buy a good quality telephone extension from?

  [DELETED] 22:41 31 Mar 2006

Niahs1, you want decent gauge wires to withstand damage ~ thinner gauge wiring will obviously mean a less thick cable.
Look at any telephone cable near to you.
Get one which is at least as thick but not thinner.
Loads of places sell telephone cable ~ just avoid the really cheap ones as you will find the wiring and cable to be less substantial.

  [DELETED] 12:47 02 Apr 2006


Thanks for all your time and help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

The humble pint glass is redesigned from bottoms up by design legend Sir Kenneth Grange

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone X (2018)