Network sharing RJ45 plugs crossover cable

  athenrye 20:40 25 Aug 2003

hi ive got two computers new XP with ethernet connected to a external telewest modem etc... and old win 98se with nic card.
i bought some crossover cable and went to connect them, my old computer has a spare socket for the RJ45 plug but my new computer uses the socket to connect the the external modem for telewest broadband!
how now do i connect the cable as the modem does not have another sempty socket either?
is there a dual switch unit that i can buy to link them both?

  Rayuk 20:53 25 Aug 2003

If you want to be able to use each pc independantly you will have to get a router.

  athenrye 21:03 25 Aug 2003

i dont want to run independently its only for my son and ive got broadband so we will share the connection cheers.

will a new nic card not interfere with the one that already in it, is it easy enogh to install?
any tips or ideas

  athenrye 23:14 25 Aug 2003

that sounds better as i wouldnt have to open my computer, so lets get it straight....
my modem and win 98 crossover cable goes into the hub, ill need to run cable from my XP machine to the hub also
what kind of cable do i get for that?
is it just crossover cable also?

  athenrye 16:58 26 Aug 2003

a hub seems to be alot cheaper, how much more difficult is it to install compared to a router?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

12 character artists you should know about in 2019

iPad mini 5 release date, price & specs rumours

Test : l’enceinte Bluetooth BW-AS2 de Blitzwolf