Network probs

RussG 16:33 05 Sep 2004

I have a broadband internet connection which is shared with 3 PC's using a Lynksys router and all works well.
I am having network problems though, in particular looking at the files on my wifes PC. Sometimes the network connection opens and I can view the files across the network, sometimes it doesn't, this now seems to fail most of the time. If I send a doc to the printer on her PC it prints and then I am able to view her files. This seems to 'open' the connection.
Her folder sharing settings are correct, she is on ME and I am now on XP pro, though this also happened when I was on ME.
Would be grateful for any suggestions.
Russ

stalion 19:37 05 Sep 2004

bump

Steve N 20:43 05 Sep 2004

One thing I'd suggest is to have a look around on google and also visit support.microsoft.com to see if it is a common problem with an easy solution.

Something that I did find an issue was that when logging on to Windows ME to ensure that OK is clicked on the user login screen. I know this caught me out a few times when helping people over the phone as this is where ME realises it is actualy on a network and will allow use of its resources.

RussG 19:41 06 Sep 2004

Thanks Steve N, yes checked the logon, will checkout MS support.

Anybody else?

Russ

johnsims 20:02 06 Sep 2004

Windows is often a bit slow to recognise the fact that there is a network. Especially pre XP versions of the OS. Up to 10 minutes from boot is not unheard of. Could it be as simple as that?

RussG 20:24 06 Sep 2004

Thanks for the suggestion but its definitly not that. Had a quick look at the support site at MS and can't find anything. I'll keep looking.
Russ

hellred 21:25 07 Sep 2004

When you boot up the Pc's in your home you need to boot the gateway pc first, if you switch them on in a diffrent order the network drives do not always re-connect, then it takes several minutes to restore the connections. You are right in saying when you print the connections are restored as then the system restores them on demand then only.

This problem goes away if all the Pc's are all using XP Pro.

RussG 17:03 09 Sep 2004

Thanks Hellred, tried different combinaions of bootup and now can see my network.
Russ

RussG 17:03 09 Sep 2004

Thanks Hellred, tried different combinatons of bootup and now can see my network.
Russ

RussG 17:04 09 Sep 2004

Thanks Hellred, tried different combinatons of bootup and now can see my network.
Russ

RussG 17:04 09 Sep 2004

Thanks Hellred, tried different combinatons of bootup and can now see my network.
Russ

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)