Network Places???

[email protected]@K @ ME! 02:32 28 Aug 2003

Ok...I've just purchased DriveImage and I'm having trouble configuring it for network backups....basically i have no "network places" to visit....Do i have to join any particular sites for web space to store my back ups...Networking is new to me??,anyone give me a few clues....As far as i can tell everything is sorted up to the point were xp asks for the networking address to drop my back up files....Thanx anyone.

AndySD 03:41 28 Aug 2003

If your PC is not connected to another PC then its not networked and you will need to save the image to a cdr. Assuming you have a cd writer.

[email protected]@K @ ME! 12:10 28 Aug 2003

Mmmm....I was under the impression i could connect to a virtual network,like a central server that would allow storage etc,more like a public domain rather than a workgroup connection.Is what i want not possible?...The idea of creating an image of a 80 gig HD and storing it on the net instead of multiple disks appeals to me.Am i completely on the wrong track here?....Can someone explain more.

zoomer 12:27 28 Aug 2003

I`m sure this is possible somewhere, but it would take some time to transfer this amount even on BB , and probably work out more hassle/more expensive than buying another drive........... one of those USB2/Firewire portable numbers look good and very handy

leo49 12:31 28 Aug 2003

I think you ought to read your DI manual to find out how it actually works eg DI only images the USED portion of the drive/partition and compresses that by up to 50%, so even if your drive/partition were full the resulting Image would only be 40gb.

Terrahawk 12:33 28 Aug 2003

click here=
google is your friend

Terrahawk 12:35 28 Aug 2003

hmm link no work search for . online backup
on googles search engine you will get a few results

leo49 12:40 28 Aug 2003

As zoomer says, there are far more affordable and practical solutions available eg, 2nd internal HDD,USB external HDD,removal HDD caddies, as well as CDRs.

[email protected]@K @ ME! 14:29 28 Aug 2003

Online Backups,(googled)

Yes i realise now this would be not cost effective and would take a ridiculous amount of time to upload :-(...shame.

So i'm in the market for a new drive,just for backup's....or maybe a snazzy new(slo)DVD writer.
Anyway THANX for the input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)