network dropouts over wifi help

bythor 08:28 15 Nov 2016

Hi. Every now and then (mostly overnight) my Canon MG5350 needs to be rebooted because the computer doesn't see it over wifi. Doing so resolves it every time. I assumed it was a printer issue and just put up with it. However I'm now also getting the same issues with my time machine and a remote mac that I want to connect to occasionally. Is this likely to be a setting in my router? The router itself doesn't seem to sleep. It's a TP-Link N600.

Secret-Squirrel 11:33 15 Nov 2016

The first thing to try in situations like yours is to simply turn the router off for a minute then turn it back on.

If that doesn't help then login to your router and try experimenting with different wireless channel numbers for the 2.4Ghz band. There are only three real channels so try 1, 6, and 13.

Lastly, what's the wireless signal strenghth like in the locations those devices are situated? If they're all distant from the router then can you move things around? If however things used to be fine and nothing's been moved then it's unlikely to be that.

Secret-Squirrel 12:52 15 Nov 2016

1,6 and 11 I thought.

That's for North America. For most of the world (including the UK) we have two extra channels so 13 is better because it's further away from 6 than 11.

bythor 17:42 17 Nov 2016

thank folks for your suggestions. Power cycling the router will bring the printer back, but that's no different to power cycling the printer which I'm trying to avoid. It's not the channel either for the same reasons. The printer is close enough to the router that I can touch them both at arm's length. It's as though the printer's (or router's) wireless ip maybe changes after a period of non-use, and the process of power cycling assigns a new address? I'm of course guessing at that, I don't know if that's possible. That's why I first thought that it was an issue with the printer with some kind of sleep mode but apparently not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

EE is the UK's first 5G network, launching next week

Philips 499P9H monitor review – this 49-inch screen turns heads and will make your colleagues…

MacBook Pro Buying Guide: 13in vs 15in MacBook Pro

Test : casque audio Avanti C de Moshi