Network Crossover Cables

  Gary 17:18 18 Jan 2003
  Gary 17:18 18 Jan 2003

I want to set up a home network with two client PCs. I went to buy an RJ45 crossover cable today, but someone suggested that I should have sheilded rather than unshielded cable. Maplins didn't have any shielded ones and I can't find anywhere that sells sheilded crossover cables (it needs to be 10m long). Does anyone know if they are available? Do I actually need one or will an unshielded one work?

Secondly, the network card in the back of my PC has only one socket. Can anyone tell me if adapters are available like you can use with a phone socket to connect more than one computer using the same socket?

  Forum Editor 18:19 18 Jan 2003

but you'll need to be careful how you ruote it. Keep it away from sources of possible interference - which means any other electrical cable or flex.

The network card in your computer has one socket because that's all you need, or can use. You'll connect an RJ45 plug to it, and take the cable to a hub, or router. Other machines on the network plug into the same hub/router. An alternative method is to run a wireless network using some of the many components available on today's market. Wireless networking is very popular nowadays because it's so simple to set up a network at home - no cables to run.

  Lozzy 18:21 18 Jan 2003

If your creating a peer to peer network then you only need one cross over cable. Sheilded is better but necs..

It you your going to create a network of more than 2 PC i.e. 3 or more then you need a HUB and straight patch cables not Xover..

  rickf 18:24 18 Jan 2003

You would also ned to have a card in each pc to be networked, I think.

  rickf 18:24 18 Jan 2003

Ah!!! typo. Should read "need."

  spikeychris 18:25 18 Jan 2003

Unshielded cable should work fine, shielded cables are used over long runs or when you need to stack machines. What a Shield does is reject internal or external generated EMI/RF (Electromagnetic Interference/Radio Frequency)
and to increase its usable bandwidth by increasing the noise rejection between each of the pairs

As for your second point whats the reason? if you want to join more than two machines you will need a hub and the crossover cable will then not work


  spikeychris 18:26 18 Jan 2003

There was not ONE post when I started typing :o)

  Gary 19:15 18 Jan 2003

I am going to put the network cable under the floor across my landing which means it will be near some electicity wires. Consequently, I think shielded would be better. However, does anyone know where I can get a shielded crossover cable that is 10m? I have only been able to find unshielded ones at

As for the adaptor - I am only usually going to have two computers networked and will only ever use two connected at once. However, the second computer which connects to mine could be one of two - so it would be easier if I could have both both connected to mine but only use one at once! (I hope this makes sense, but it's kinda difficult to explain!)

  Rayuk 19:46 18 Jan 2003

On Google search came up with
click here

  SEASHANTY 19:47 18 Jan 2003

A cheap source for network cat5 cables UTP is CTECH 2000 Ltd. 31 Tweedale St. ROCHDALE OL11 1HH. They advertise in the weekly computer mag
MICRO MART web <click here>
A 20 metre crossover unshielded is £10 plus vat.
They do not list any shielded cables. Probably hard to find I should think. This UTP cable should work okay if you don't run it parallel with electriocal wiring.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?