Network Adapters (Help disabling 5ghz via adapter)

Alex Swift 22:17 08 Dec 2016

Hello, I currently have 2 network adapters. 1 - BT Dual-Band Wi-fi Dongle. 2 - TP-Link 802.11ac Network Adapter does anyone know how to disable them connecting to the 5ghz wifi? My dad has the BT HomeHub 7 and has 2.4ghz/5ghz sync'd together and won't turn it off...... For some reason during gaming while connected to 5ghz I get random ping spikes from 30-200/300 ping every 30seconds or so but while I was connected to 2.4ghz my ping was stable at around 25-30.

I just want to beable to disable them from connecting to 5ghz wifi

Govan1x 23:20 08 Dec 2016

You have to get into the router via the internet and disable the 5Ghz and leave the 2.4 ghz enabled.

Secret-Squirrel 12:01 09 Dec 2016

Alex, all you need to do is to login to the Home Hub and separate the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks and that'll give you two discrete ones. You'll then be able to choose which one to connect to. Go here and scroll down to the "Improve wireless" section.

Unfortunately the default Home Hub setting is for both networks to have the same SSID (network name) so you don't have any control over which one your device connects to. In principle it should connect to the best one but that's clearly not the case for you. There's no need to turn off 5Ghz because it's normally a very useful feature because it's less prone to interference from nearby networks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch