Network 2PC's with Crossover cable

Sparkly 15:14 25 Feb 2008

Hi all i have been trying to network two pc's together as a home network i have connected the two desktops via the ethernet adapter with a crossover cable,i have run the network wizard on both pc's and they have their own names but have the same workgroup name finished the network setup and rebooted but all i get is limited or no connection in the taskbar. The main pc is connected to a BT voyager 220v router and connects to the web no problem and the second will connect fine if i hard wire it to the router, but i wanted to connect the two pcs via the ethernet connection for file transfer to backup, could anyone offer up any suggestions as to what i have done wrong???
Desktop 1 XP Home SP2
Ethernet (Enabled)Intel Pro 100 VE Network Connection
Desktop 2 XP Pro SP2
Ethernet (Enabled) 10/100 Ethernet Controller

brundle 17:15 25 Feb 2008

Give the two machines fixed IP addresses in the same subnet, 192.168.10.10 and 192.168.10.11 for example, subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

Read this; click here

Sparkly 17:21 25 Feb 2008

Hi brundle thanks for the link i will give it a try later when i get back from work and will update you.
Thankyou

Sparkly 16:24 26 Feb 2008

Hi brundle sorry about the delay folled the instructions as to your link and it has worked fine i no longer have the limited connection. I tried to ping the other pc but get timed out with each attempemt so i folled the bit and where it tells me Uncheck the box titled: "Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet". Click OK. Now, try pinging the selected IP address again. I do not have a box to untick just a settings button and gives me the option to disable windows firewall which is disabled i use NIS. On the second PC if i open My Computer>My Network Places>View Workgroup Computers only that PC is listed if i do it on PC 1 i am told Workgroup is not accesible you might not have permissione to use this network recourse contact the Administrater of this server any ideas?? Thanks again for your help.

Sparkly 21:34 26 Feb 2008

Anyone??

brundle 23:17 26 Feb 2008

I'm not very familiar with Norton's firewall but you need to add the two addresses to a `trusted` range or network somewhere within the Norton settings. Is sharing enabled? Do both machines share an identical workgroup name? Do they have unique network names themselves?

brundle 23:21 26 Feb 2008

I knew someone had to have produced a guide - this is very handy; click here

Sparkly 06:26 27 Feb 2008

Hi brundle i will try what you suggest with Norton,the machines are shared,same workgroup name and have different names, i will read the link and try again.
Once again many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

How to use 3D Touch on iPhone

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?