Netgear wireless router model is DGB111G

julietodd154 16:52 10 Apr 2006

I bought this wireless router yesterday and I have no problem whatsoever using the laptop and the desktop pc at the same time ,the problem i have is only been able to view a couple of web pages ,cannot access the usual ones i use or even msn messenger ,i think i need to configure my settings to go with the router but not sure how to do this ,i spoke with aol live help but no joy in what i was told to do there
any suggestions please as i really like the idea of been able to be online when someone else is in the home

silverous 16:57 10 Apr 2006

If you weren't configured for the router you would in theory get no pages at all.

Which pages don't work? Same on both laptop and PC?

Did you just follow through the installation instructions or did you do some other config of the router?

It sounds like it might be firewall configuration on the router or possibly even your windows firewall if you have one running - although I would expect that would have caused you problems previously.

julietodd154 17:08 10 Apr 2006

Which pages don't work? Same on both laptop and PC?
not too sure on this I did actually try one of the pages my husband was trying to get onto from the laptop and still had the same problem as he did

Did you just follow through the installation instructions or did you do some other config of the router?
I didnt configure anything as i was unsure what to do
someone at AOL was supposed to be sending me an email today as they seem to think i was having a problem viewing secure sites and need to configure but the mail didnt arrive
not sure how to configure the router firewall or even the windows firewall eeeeeeks i know lol i sound thick ;)

ade.h 17:17 10 Apr 2006

There have been very similar threads in Networking recently. Did you see those? They may be of help to you.

Initially, I'm thinking that the MTU value may be wrong and packets are being dropped (this was one solution that I gave to a recent sufferer of the same problem and it cured it) or perhaps your firewalls need some tuning for the same reason.

ade.h 17:19 10 Apr 2006

If you are using the Windoze Firewall while networking, don't. Even MS admits that it's not fully up to the job of handling network comms.

julietodd154 17:21 10 Apr 2006

thank you very much for the info about the other threads i will check them out
it all sounds so technical to me MTU value etc etc
was going to take it back to shop and get money back but i really dont want to do that just want whatever is wrong to be sorted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?