Netgear DG834GT and AOL connection

cmdpost 05:27 04 Dec 2005

Hi,

I'd like to bet that this has been covered before but I can't find anything specific to my problem.

I'm trying to set up the aforementioned router with AOL - who tell me that they don't "support the GT" for a friend (brand new Dell Inspiron 51 series machine - XP and all the bells and whistles. The router knows that it's connected but when I try to connect to the Net (AOL) it just won't play!

Any help\advice would be greatly appreciated.

keewaa 09:40 04 Dec 2005

Probably an MTU issue click here you should find an MTU setting somewhere within your router UI

driving man 13:20 04 Dec 2005

cmdpost, What you describe was on this forum last week or so (exactly the same) My techie guy found it and said it was just as he did to set up my system on aol silver. He also sorted it that one machine can go on aol and other use Int Expl at same time. Plus being able to use laptop in garden or garage and use printer/s function.

driving man 13:21 04 Dec 2005

cmdpost, What you describe was on this forum last week or so (exactly the same) My techie guy found it and said it was just as he did to set up my system on aol silver. He also sorted it that one machine can go on aol and other use Int Expl at same time. Plus being able to use laptop in garden or garage and use printer/s function.

driving man 13:24 04 Dec 2005

connecting to aol with netgear dg834gt router
Posted by mantis1 on Fri, 25/11/05
hope this helps

cmdpost 02:32 05 Dec 2005

Been out all day - so this is the first chance I've had to get your responses (all).

I'll let you kmow how I get on :-)

FredF999 19:22 01 Feb 2006

Can anyone help me please?

I have aol silver and a netgear DG834GT router, and want an idiots guide to setting up the router to be able to use with this package.

cmdpost 20:34 01 Feb 2006

Read above. Worked for me. One of the things I was missing was resetting the password in the router setup.

FredF999 07:26 03 Feb 2006

cmd, i take it you mean the link by keewaa?

several questions...

In netgear router basic settings:-

1. the encapsulation should be changed to PPPoE?
2. the login and password should be as aol?

It seems there are no other changes to be made.

Do I then use the aol software to dial in or do i dial using internet explorer and the standard dial up?

keewaa 09:41 03 Feb 2006

Change the MTU to 1400 in WAN area of the router.

FredF999 20:11 03 Feb 2006

keewaa,

thanks.....

so do i use aol browser and dial up or do i use internet explorer browser and dial up?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts