Netgear DG632 modem router

sputnick 13:52 28 May 2006

I have installed DG632 using the ethernet connection and was looking to connect my laptop using the USB port.
I spent 2 evenings talking to their techies trying to get it to work with the laptop.
In the end I gave up and am still using it with my desktop and lan.
I e-mailed Netgear who then told me I can`t connect my laptop to the USB port and that I must set it up for the desktop to use USB and the laptop to use the Lan.
Why doesn`t it work either way.
Can I connect a wireless router to it and put a PMCIA card in the laptop.

pifko 14:14 28 May 2006

You may need to install some software with the PCMIA card, if not done already.

sputnick 15:35 28 May 2006

Thanks pifko.
has anyone had the same setup problems??

mgmcc 20:57 28 May 2006

<<< Netgear who then told me I can`t connect my laptop to the USB port and that I must set it up for the desktop to use USB and the laptop to use the Lan >>>

That has to be nonsense. How could a router possibly know whether the computer connecting to it was a desktop PC or a laptop (or a Mac or Linux for that matter)? An ethernet connection is an ethernet connection, running over TCP/IP protocol.

You could plug a network switch into the router's ethernet port to provide additional LAN ports.

If you do want a "wireless" connection, connect the desktop PC by USB and plug a Wireless Access Point into the router's ethernet port. Having said that, stand-alone Wireless Access points tend to be very expensive and you could probably get a new Wireless Router for about the same price.

anskyber 21:41 28 May 2006

Views are entirely correct if my recent experience is to be followed. I accept that my Speedtouch router/modem is a different make but I faced the same problem as you. I chose the ethernet for the PC because of the "possible" BB bandwidth improvement and connected the laptop to a USB connection. I went though the set up wizard (both are on XP)and with a bit of fixing to get the printer to work I have a functioning home network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?