Netbook won't boot from USB (Linux or Windows)

Larches 16:41 31 Mar 2018

The latest challenge set for me by a family member is to resurrect his Medion Akoya S2218 netbook (Intel Atom Z3735F), which is currently without operating system. It came with Windows 10 pre-installed, but suffered a strange glitch whereby it was impossible to open the start menu (by mouse or keyboard shortcut) - the menu was completely unresponsive, and for some reason the factory reset didn't work.

He therefore decided to wipe the disk with the intention of installing Linux, but that has proved impossible so far. I have tried about a dozen different Linux distributions (which are supposedly appropriate for netbooks), and despite having set USB as the first boot device, it just skips on past and ends up at the (now infuriating) EFI Shell prompt (after showing a device mapping table - blk0-blk2). It just appears not to recognise the bootable USB (which works OK on another machine). The only exceptions to this were a couple of distros which it did recognise, but in both cases it looked as if it would boot but then filled the screen with flashing grey stripes and froze in that state (this happened consistently with several attempts).

I have tried writing the Linux ISOs to USB with both Rufus and YUMI, and it even fails to recognise a Windows 7 recovery USB installation. We therefore seem to be at a dead end and unable to turn round - the netbook is (as far as I can tell) completely useless in its current state.

Can anyone offer any wisdom on this please?

rdave13 17:41 31 Mar 2018

Try going to the uefi/bios and disable Fast boot and enable legacy mode.

[DELETED] 18:29 31 Mar 2018

Try tapping F8 or F12 on bootup depending on your mother board to get to the USB, I used to have to do that on my old netbook, in fact I still have to do that on my new Notebook.

The flashing stripes are sometimes caused by the Kernel not recognising the hardware, like the graphics card. I used to have to keep the old kernel on my old netbook, if I updated it, it caused problems like you are suffering.

I have found the 32bit Ubunutu MATE is a nice light desktop that seem to work with most computers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:31 31 Mar 2018

If you do not enable legacy mode the UEFi will prevent booting from anything except the hard / ss drive usualy.

rdave13 18:43 31 Mar 2018

I think it's F10 you need to tap on booting, it should bring up the temporary boot order list, so boot up with the flash drive already connected.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:29 31 Mar 2018

The problem with temporary boot order is if you're doing an install and windows needs to reboot a coule of times it will try and rebbot from the hard drive and not your USB drive with the install media and end up getting itself into a boot loop.

[DELETED] 20:22 31 Mar 2018

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Agreed, but thankfully Linux doesn't need to keep re-booting, you remove the USB stick once it's installed and the next boot is from the hard drive.

rdave13

Could be, that's why I said it depends on the motherboard. My old netbook was F8 and my new Notebook is F12, equally it could be F10.

LastChip 23:12 31 Mar 2018

You need to make changes in the BIOS. Please watch this video for instructions. The video is for a Samsung, but yours should be similar.

Govan1x 23:50 31 Mar 2018

64gb ssd on it. If I remember right Aitchbe bought one of those from Aldi and took it back either the same day or a little bit later. Using W10 it is going to struggle.

[DELETED] 08:21 01 Apr 2018

This is from the user manual.

Press the F2 key to run the UEFI firmware configuration.

rdave13 19:03 01 Apr 2018

Not a lot of interest from the TS then. F2 to get into uefi/bios and worth setting USB as first boot and saving it. Good find octal .

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

Say aloha to the summertime vibes of artist Kim Sielbeck

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Les meilleures séries Amazon Prime Video (2018)