Need Your Help! FPS Drops & Stuttering on High-End

Knower 22:16 08 Apr 2018

Hi community,

It's sad to say, but there are serious FPS drops/spikes/freeze and micro stuttering in almost all the games on my new self-built high-end PC with Intel i7 8700K + Aorus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti.

Please Note:

1. Due to 4500 chs limit I can not locate all text. You can read full version here: click here I use Google Drive for image/docs hosting instead of other specialized sites in terms of security (sorry Imgur fans).
  2. All images, screenshots and documents mentioned in this topic are stored in the shared Google Drive folder available at the following link: click here If you don't see some items in Google Drive folder, try signing in with your Google account. I hope you have it.
  3. If you can't open links or view spoilers in this topic, try signing up.

Warning!
I figured out that only with NVIDIA 388.13 Driver MSI Afterburner's "Power" monitoring option cause enormous FPS drops and especially stuttering in absolutely any game every time MSI AB refresh values in hardware monitor. This depends directly on hardware polling period in AB settings. Therefore, I recommend you to disable "Power" monitoring feature to prevent issue with future or other NVIDIA drivers.

Introduction

FPS drops/stutters are very noticeable in GTA 5, The Witcher 3 and War Thunder (very laggy hangar). There are almost no drops in recently released World of Tanks 1.0. Every game's graphics settings are set to Max/Ultra values without any type of sync or FPS lock.

All PC hardware have been purchased from trusted local vendors with original seal and warranty from the official manufacturer. PC was precisely built by me without any mistakes, with all the manual/PC building guides requirements.

Enough intro, let's dig in!

GTA 5 — FPS Drops/Stuttering

I have read that I'm not the first player who catch these kinds of issues. But this Rockstar child is especially laggy on my rig. FPS drops occur after each 1-2 minutes of gameplay with high average FPS, particularly noticeable when flying and aiming at the police helicopters on the background of the skybox.

Also I know that GTA 5 game engine doesn't allow more than 188 FPS. For the first time, I thought that the game is just the culprit because of the 188 FPS engine lock and Grand Theft Auto 5 porting from consoles. But now I'm think that troubles arise due to software or much worse hardware fault.

FPS Drops:
click here Afterburner Graphs:**
click here 5 Graphics Settings:**
click here Witcher 3 — FPS Drops/Stuttering

Well, I didn't expect any problems with this CD Projekt great-optimized masterpiece game due to very positive feedback on all game platforms and tons of articles like "The most optimized game ever". Unfortunately, of course, not on my rig.

Drops are rarely and less noticeable compared with Grand Theft Auto but they ARE, and this an issue. Usually, I notice them while moving, Roach riding or fighting with monsters and guards. And the biggest sorrow is that there is no workaround for this awesome game.

FPS Drops:
click here Afterburner Graphs:**
click here Witcher 3 Graphics Settings:**
click here So, dear readers, do you know any advices, workarounds and working fixes? 2. Or, maybe, any official confirmation from NVIDIA, Microsoft and Intel that is 100% related to their software failure instead of hardware defect? 3. If FPS drops and stuttering caused by hardware, сan you roughly determine what is the culprit and where to dig?

Thank you very much for the attention! I will be very grateful for any of your help!

With deepest respect,
"Happy" High-End PC Owner

2. 4. **MSI **GTA

The

**MSI **The

Questions

Knower 22:19 08 Apr 2018

Sorry for formatting. It's unusual. Will edit topic.

christinebelle 01:32 10 Apr 2018

Hi Knower, there is an article about All game stuttering with FPS drops after the Windows 10 creators update, it contains reasons and solutions, wish this can help you to learn more about it: click here and click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple