need wifi in separate building

coyoteman 22:17 15 Nov 2016

Hi i run a small after school club on school grounds and would like to log on to the schools wifi ( the computer suite is abt 1500 - 2000mtrs away from my separate building . At the moment we cannot do this and i was wondering if there is a cheap option of extending the wifi to reach our building . We have been quoted to approx £500 to have it fitted ,which we cannot afford . Any help will be greatly appreciated . Thanks Neil.

Govan1x 23:27 15 Nov 2016

Oops must be reading this wrong but is the building a mile away from the school.

Do you mean 150-200mtrs away.

coyoteman 11:33 16 Nov 2016

LOL yes it should be 150 - 200 mtrs .Sorry :)

Jollyjohn 13:30 16 Nov 2016

Does this building have it's own consumer unit (fusebox) for electricity? If it has then we can rule out HomePlugs. If it doesn't then beg, stael or borrow a pair of HomePlugs and try them. I am doubtful they will work but won't know until ruled out.

If there is a direct line of site between the two buildings, position a router in the window of the IT suite and a USB dongle in the window of the remote building and see if the signal is strong enough.

If the £500 quoted is to run an ethernet cable and put a router on the end to give wifi access to more than one computer, it is not a bad price. My suggestions, if either work, will give a limited service and if you have to buy the parts needed you could easily spend £200.

Bazzaman 13:54 16 Nov 2016

Unless you need access to the school's network (e.g. school databases), then an alternative is to use a mobile phone with a contract that permits "tethering". See this PCA article for more info.

You should then be able to set the mobile phone up as a wifi hotspot and access the Internet via that.

However, you will be subject to the (monthly?) download limits of wahtever contract you sign up to.

Bazzaman 14:14 16 Nov 2016

Or take a look at this: Outdoor Extender

Jollyjohn 14:34 16 Nov 2016

The Outdoor Extender looks ideal for what you need.

An alternative is to have your own Broadband package - click here The little white cube is router and very effective - assuming you are in a 4g coverage area.

Bazzaman 16:16 16 Nov 2016

Thinking about it, due to the constraints that a school probably works under, the Outdoor Extender is probably more appropriate, as I can see all sorts of security issues arising with using what is effectively an alternative ISP.

maha_wasim 07:31 17 Nov 2016

Yeah! an Outdoor extender is the most common option to extend the existing wireless connection y utilising a different SSID. Although there is another option i.e. repeater to extend the existing wireless network but extender is quite common. Take a look at this; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Apple unveils first ‘pro’ iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max

InDesign at 20: how Adobe beat Quark to become the graphic design tool of choice

iPhone 11 Pro confirmed: Release date, price & specs

Les meilleures montres connectées (2019)