need to "rescue" pictures from hard drive

muscic lover 20:53 27 Aug 2005

Help! Have got lots of once in lifetime holiday photos on hard drive. Just before going to back-up the laptop crashed. Seems like virus. Can NOT even get to SAFE mode. Is there any way can get pics off of the hard drive?
Was running XP!

Taff36 21:03 27 Aug 2005

What happens when you try to get into safe mode? Can you get to the point where you choose safe mode by tapping F8? Does it then go in a loop and start to reboot? (If so it sounds familiar)

muscic lover 21:07 27 Aug 2005

try to get into safe mode but then shuts down, and powers off! I think i have the lsass virus (differing views on this - some folk say its a virus - others say its a necessary system file......

But then again i'm nO TEcCY!

Taff36 21:18 27 Aug 2005

Do you have an XP disc? If so we`ll go for a repair installation (Not Repair Console)

muscic lover 21:22 27 Aug 2005

tried that and it doesnt help!
it just 're-crashes'!!

Well frustrated!

Graham ® 22:13 27 Aug 2005

Please don't panic! Most of the experts will be in the pub on a Saturday night!

Your pictures should be safe for now, until a 'fix' is found.

Best to keep to the original post, so folks can follow the progress of your problem.

Graham ® 22:16 27 Aug 2005

Please don't panic! Most of the experts will be in the pub on a Saturday night!

Your pictures should be safe for now, until a 'fix' is found.

Best to keep to the original post, so folks can follow the progress of your problem.

Taff36 22:38 27 Aug 2005

OK you have a disk. Let`s go for repair console and run checkdisc - I don`t think that can do any harm. Boot from CD and choose repair. Instructions click here When you get to the prompt type "chkdsk" without the quotation marks. Make a note of irregularities and reboot anyway. This sometimes works even if there are problems identified.

DieSse 23:35 27 Aug 2005

Absolute safest way is to put your drive into another system as a slave (you'll need an adaptor to make a laptop drive work in a desktop system - they're easy to get and very inexpensive).

Then you can copy off any information you can get to - and run a virus check on it.

I suggest you do this before you attempt any resucue operations - *just in case*

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)