need to recover photos & emails

krsna 09:00 30 Dec 2008

My pc will not boot and originally it was giving error message of "virtual mermory low..." I booted up with a boot disk of " ubuntu " and manged to delete some files on the nearly full hard drive, but that did not fix the fault. So I have made a copy of the hard drive using "HD clone" and an external hard drive but when I connect this external drive to another pc I cannot find the folder " My Pictures " nor "My documents" Any suggestions? I really wanted to save the photos and my outlook folders, before I do a full recovery to try and get my pc running again.

STREETWORK 09:07 30 Dec 2008

which operating system and system specs'...

ened 09:07 30 Dec 2008

If you have access to another pc you could try taking the Hard Drive out and putting it into the other pc (as a slave if it is ide)and move the information you require off of it.

howard64 09:16 30 Dec 2008

If it is xp and you have the xp disc you try booting from the xp cd and using the repair option. This might get you going. I assume you have tried safe mode etc.

krsna 10:15 30 Dec 2008

My pc is a hp pavilion media centre on XP, I have tried using an xp cd to repair it but it still hangs just before the welcome screen. I have tried doing a recovery using the recovery disk but during recovery after 74% I get an error message that the lsass.exe file cannot be recovered. I am now quite willing to do a full recovery as long as I can first save my photos & outlook folders hence I was hoping that the cloned copy of my hard drive on the external hard drive would allow me to recove these. Any suggestions as to how I can recover the photos & emails off the hard drive/ external cloned hard drive.

Spark6 16:41 30 Dec 2008

A variation on ened's suggestion: remove the drive and insert it into a caddy, connect to a second computer and transfer your data to your external drive for safe keeping.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy A8 review: Hands-on

Majority of illustrators don’t earn enough to live from, new survey shows

iPhone X problems

Word gratuit : comment télécharger le logiciel de Microsoft ?