Need opinions on the best outdoor cable protection

Jordy Novak 12:12 27 Nov 2016

I am going to be running a Ethernet cable from the top, front, right room of my house down a 30 metre stretch to my studio at the top of my garden. What is going to be the best way to keep this wire protected?

Many Thanks,

Jordan

britto 12:23 27 Nov 2016

MDPE pipe should do it.

Forum Editor 12:50 27 Nov 2016

If you use plastic pipe (and that is the best method, as britto says) it helps to bury it, rather than running it along the surface, or on a fence. The pipe is designed for mains water supplies, and is bright blue - not a good look above ground.

The pipe will come on a 50 metre coil (get the 25mm size), so you'll need to use a drawstring to get the cable into it. Take a look at this - it demonstrates an easy and effect method of getting the string into the pipe.

When you pull the cable into the pipe, pull an extra drawstring with it, and leave it in the pipe inc case you ever have to pull another cable through.

If you have to run it on a fence, you must clip it every metre or so. You could also paint it to merge with the fence, but use oil-based paint if you do that.

A 50 metre coil of 25mm pipe will cost you around £35 from a plumbers merchant.

wee eddie 13:05 27 Nov 2016

On a point of interest.

If your Studio, takes it's Power Supply from the same Mains Supply/Fuse Box as the rest of the house, as mine does. Then you can use Home-plugs, No real need for an Ethernet cable

Secret-Squirrel 15:59 27 Nov 2016

If your Studio, takes it's Power Supply from the same Mains Supply/Fuse Box as the rest of the house.........

It does.

Then you can use Home-plugs, No real need for an Ethernet cable

That's what I suggested to him last September so God only knows why he's determined to faff around laying miles of pipe, trunking and cable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Pharrell's favourite new illustrator Daniel Egneus on making dreamlike fashion art

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Windows 10 : comment désactiver Cortana ?