Need Laptop Sound Card solution

Beowolf 09:35 18 Mar 2010

I've just bought a new Acer laptop. It's got a built in webcam which I tried to use yesterday but it told me that I had no sound card so it wouldn't work. I am able to listen to music, etc on my PC so I'm not really sure if I have a sound card or not. Is it possible to not have a sound card but still hear sounds? Is there a way to tell if I have one? And if I don't have one, can I buy an external one or something? Thanks for your help everyone!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:55 18 Mar 2010

"Is it possible to not have a sound card but still hear sounds?"

Yes just beeps

But if you can play music you have a sound card.

It will be shown in device manager under sound and audio controllers.

MAJ 09:56 18 Mar 2010

You mention two computers a laptop and a PC. If you can hear music then you have a soundcard in the computer (laptop or PC). laptop sound cards are sound chips built on to the motherboard, PCs with integrated sound are the same.

Beowolf 10:52 18 Mar 2010

Thanks everyone. MAJ...I was being stupid. I meant laptop, not PC.
I'll have a go later to see if I can find the sound card under device manager. I would have thought that the webcam would be able to pick this up if it were If it's not, is it possible to buy some kind of add-on?

oldbeefer3 11:03 18 Mar 2010

The built in webcam is designed to work with the on-board sound card. May be muted in settings (start, control panel, sounds and audio devices, in XP. Similar in Vista).

MAJ 11:07 18 Mar 2010

Which model is your Acer laptop, Beowolf?

Beowolf 11:09 18 Mar 2010

It's an Acer AS5332

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 and 32 review – hands-on

When is the next Apple event?

Gmail : comment annuler l’envoi d’un e-mail ?