need laptop recommendations

juicypeach 17:27 04 Sep 2005

I want to buy a reasonably tough computer (for travel) which needs a large memory capacity for storing photographs, accessing internet etc. Possibly GBS ?

I would like to run this (and my camera battery and mobile ) on a solar panel.

Who can give me the best solution ?

love, Sarah.

Skills 19:54 04 Sep 2005

So you'll be wanting a large hard drive at least 60gig if not an 80 or more? At least 512ram and a fairly high end processor and battery life needs to be good. Plus you'll be wanting a wireless net connection as well.

I'd look at a PentiumM based system. The pM's are designed for the mobile setting so have good battery life. The top of the range pM's compare to a top end pentium processor. Look into the graphics chip as well see if its got its own memory or shares system memory.

What sort of a budget do you have to work with?

woodchip 20:00 04 Sep 2005

Do you travel by car! what’s wrong with using a 230 volts Inverter I have one fitted on the back of a car jumps starter it's a 300 watt but a 150 watt should run laptop OK

nanpants 17:59 11 Jan 2006

Hi. Im looking to get a decent laptop that will last me for a decent amount of time in the future. ive been looking at the Dell Inspiron 6000. Ive got a budget of about 500-600 and that is coming in at 588. Although im pretty basic at pcs at the mo i want something that i was delvelope my knowledge will be sutiable for the long term so im not looking to upgrade. It has a decent 512mb ram and 60gb hd with 5hr on the battery. 4usb port and fire port the processor is an intel pentium 1.70ghz and internal bluetooth which i dont have a clue what it is. Any opinion on this laptop?

Methedrine 19:48 11 Jan 2006

Juicypeach - Tough laptop, eh? Panasonic Toughbook's click here are a little on the expensive side.

Nanpants - no hijacking of threads. Tut, tut.
One word. Acer. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?