Need help upgrading CPU and MB

CharlieO 11:39 17 Nov 2016

I want to buy BF4 but my CPU isn't good enough to play it. My PC build is 5 years old but I did upgrade the GPU 1 and a half years ago. Here is my build?

WD 1TB Blue Desktop Drive 3.5" SATA-III 7200RPM 64MB Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333MHz Corsair CX 600W AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Socket AM3 3.2 GHz 6MB Asus M4A88T-M 880G Socket AM3 Onboard Graphics 8 Channel Audio mATX Motherboard MSI R9 280X GAMING 3GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card

I don't need a really high end CPU and I am not sure how much they cost these days. My current one cost £80 at the time, so guidance would be helpful. I also heard that my MB needs replacing too. What CPU and MB should I get?

Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:26 17 Nov 2016

Read the specs for BF4 it will tell you the minimum you need.

Archonar 13:25 17 Nov 2016

It depends on the power you want and the money you are prepared to spend, as Fruit Bat says the recommended specs will tell you the minimum to run bf4 and if that's all you need go for that.

Just as a reference, most intel gamers will use an i5, the most recent of which costs in the region of £200. I am not an AMD user so I can't make a personal recommendation but tomshardware recommends the AMD-FX 8300, maybe someone with more AMD knowledge can offer some advice.

With regards to the motherboard, that depends on what processor you choose - the socket of the motherboard must match the socket of the cpu. So once you have chosen a processor find a motherboard with the same socket. Pcpartpicker is a good site to use to check whether they are compatible, just enter the cpu and motherboard and it will flag any issues. You could even enter your whole system to make sure there won't be any problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch