Need help with PC upgrade

machairodus11 07:54 10 Apr 2019

Hello all!

I recently acquired a PC from 2015 (click here ) processor : Intel Xeon E3-1226 v3 @3.30 GHz, 3301 Mhz

Since it has been sitting in a warehouse for the last years in an unopened box, the system is virtually new, however its components are dated. I would like to upgrade the PC (around 500 USD worth), switching out some components.

In the end I would like to do some photo and video editing and also use it for some gaming as well. The system is working fine, but what would you recommend I focus on upgrading the PC? I was thinking in the lines of:

• Add memory (currently has 4GB DDR3) - upgrade to 8/12 GB? - Or maybe I should replace the motherboard and use a DDR4 motherboard and not spend on DDR3 memory?

• Add GPU - I read that "Asus Phoenix GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6GB" should have great price/quality ratio. Would this be recommended? Also, since my PSU has 400W, would it be sufficient for this GPU or should I think about upgrading the PSU as well?

• Add SDD harddrive - currently I have HDD, I am thinking about using it as a storage drive or putting it in external NAS and install SDD as the system drive. How should I look for the SDD drive? Which would be a wise choice?

All feedback and recommendations are welcome.

Thank you

LV426 09:53 12 Apr 2019

Upgrade the ram and fit an ssd and see if its good enough, once you down the route of changing mobos you are almost starting over.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Now On Sale: Price, Specification & Features

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio Lightning (2019)