Need help to choose laptop

Radio3285 20:58 08 Dec 2016

I have a Toshiba Qosmio F50-10k since 2009 and even if its still in good condition (apart from a few burned pixels) it has a major problem from day 1: Overheating! And I'm talking about overheating to the point that shuts down on its own. Pretty bad because I lost a hard drive from that. I've sent it to service quite a few times but Toshiba refused to change the defective graphics card (that's the one that overheats) - processor doesn't even break a sweat, all work goes to the graphic card.

Here are the specs:

**Toshiba Qosmio F50-10k Intel Core Duo 2.53GHz 4 Gb RAM 650Gb HDD NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT Windows Vista 32bit**

Anyway, I'm looking for a decent upgrade (not necessarily top notch), an I5 is good (no I3 because they are no different than a Core Duo) but I need to know if there are specific brands and/or models that have less overheating issues.

I'm not looking for a laptop with no overheating issues because there is none. And I'm certainly not considering a desktop (I travel a lot so don't mention it), I just need a laptop (below 1000$) that doesn't crack under pressure (no overheating to a shut down point).

So far I've found that MSI and Asus have better heat management but they are a bit on the expensive side. Here are some models that I consider buying:

Asus R510JX-XX041H (i7-4720HQ/8GB/1TB/GeForce GTX 950M//W8)

Asus X751LKB-TY110H (i7-5500U/8GB/2TB/GeForce 850M/W8)

Asus ROG GL552VW-DM775, i5-6300HQ/15.6 FHD/4GB/1TB/nVidia GTX 960M 4GB/No OS

MSI PX60 2QD-098XPL I7-5700HQ 8GB 1TB FreeDos

MSI GL62 6QD (i7-6700HQ/8GB/1TB/GeForce GTX 950M/FHD/FreeDos)

Do they worth it? What about DELL and LENOVO? They have good prices but i've never tried one before. Can I play GTA IV or Fallout without bringing the system to a boiling point?

And what about Windows. Personally I would prefer an NO OS laptop because that could me the option to install any Windows I want. Should I go for it? I don't trust Windows 10 too much. It is said it has many bugs. Windows 8 has this annoying tiles interface (I prefer the classic mode), so Windows 7 sounds like the best choice. Problem is that most of the MSI and ASUS laptops carry Windows 10 on them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch