Need to change folder security permissions

sannnesley 20:30 08 Apr 2017

Long story short. My old PC Motherboard has died and I have a new custom PC on order. I was trying to locate and copy the Microsoft .PST Outlook file among other files and ran into a problem when trying to access the username folder within the Users folder to get to the .PST file location in AppData.

I have the C:drive out of the old PC in a caddy and hooked up to a laptop running Windows Vista in an attempt to access the files.

When I try to open the specific username folder I'm told "You don't currently have permission to access this folder"

How can I change the security permissions for this folder so I can get to the .PST file?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:57 08 Apr 2017

You need to take ownership of the folder

click here

sannnesley 23:00 08 Apr 2017

Ok I tried the solution in the web site How-To Geek. I downloaded the zip file and rand the reg hack to install the context menu command and ran the MS DOS. For all the files it reported "Success the file is now owned" for all files.

Still, when I try to open the folder Windows tells me "You currently don't have permission to access this folder"

Am I missing something? Do I have to restart the laptop or HDD for the settings to finalise or something?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:19 09 Apr 2017

Yes try a reboot and see what happens.

sannnesley 21:19 18 Apr 2017

A reboot solved the issue. I got the files I needed transferred. Thanks to everyone for their help :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Create a glowing superhero

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleures prises CPL