NavHelper -Adware

cosh 21:10 02 Mar 2005

I have just updated to NIS 2005 and it has found 4 ADWARE THREATS.
Two are listed as NHelper.dll and the others NHUninstaller.exe and NHUpdater.exe
NIS says they are all within C:\NavEcel
C:\program Files\NavEcel\NavHeper\v2.0.4c\NavHelper.dll
C:\program Files\NavEcel\NavHeper\v2.0.4c\v2.0.4c.b.cab contains compressed files NHUpdater.exe NHuninstaller.exe and NHelper.dll.

NIS says it tried but could not delete these files, although it deleted several files of a similar name and also in NavEcel.

Is NavEcel\NavHelper itself malware and should I remove it manually? NavHElper appears in ADD/REMOVE programs in my CONTROL PANEL so I probably could remove it.
Gratefull for any enlightenment Cosh

VoG II 21:12 02 Mar 2005

Yes you can click here

cosh 23:36 02 Mar 2005

Thanks VOG for the info. I tried to remove it via ADD/REMOVE only to be given a response along the lines of " the program has already been removed - do you want to remove the item from this list?"
Do you reckon it is wise to delete the NavEcel folder etc from my Programs File in C:\ or might I then be stuck with registry calls failing to find files ?

Anybody got any experience of deleting NavExcel in this situation?

Thanks Cosh

curlylad 01:18 03 Mar 2005

NavHelper removal tool click here

curlylad 01:25 03 Mar 2005

Sorry matey forgot to put this link on for removal of NHelper.dll , NHUninstaller.exe and NHUpdater.exe this link removes all 3 of the above click here Have a nice day !

cosh 13:35 04 Mar 2005

Hi Curlylad,
I tried your link to the ENIGMA site and downloaded and installed spyhunterS.exe. This program found the threats but it was not the full version. It said I needed to UPDATE to the full version, for which I would pay, to be able to remove these threats. I tried to UPDATE but it said it could not access the internet?!!.

I then tried SPYBOT-- this identified the threats and also identified the installed Spyhunter components as a threat and so so I let it deal with them. It did not identify or remove the downloaded spyhunter.exe file which I had downloaded and saved.

Spybot now does not identify any threats but Norton Anti Virus still identifies NHelper.dll,NHuninstaller.exe and NHupdater.exe all as Adware threats and compressed files within C:|Program FIles\NavExcel\NavHelper\v2.0.4c\v2.0.4c.b.cab and is unable to delete them.

My current questions are:-
Is NavExcel really a useful program?
If it isn't is it worth trying to use NHuninstaller,exe or is that likely to be a source of trouble?
Is spyhunterS a malware program or did it just become contaminated with NavExcel?

Any advice very welcome

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough, a non-profit against sexual misconduct

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)