Mysterious Temporary Internet Files

Carafaraday 09:25 02 Jun 2003

I deleted all cookies and temporary internet files in order to let McAfee run its weekly scan more quickly but find that there are still a huge number of temp files that it wades through. They seem to be c;windows\temporaryinternetfiles\ .. \6P15MJEF .........

These appear to be files from way back which I would have thought would have been deleted.

When I go to My Computer etc to find them - they aren't there! Can anyone tell me where they are, and why they are still there?

Thanks.

Carafaraday 10:08 02 Jun 2003

No, using Windows 98, and only have 1 account set up.

Carafaraday 13:34 02 Jun 2003

Thanks for that - I have IE6 but presume it is similar? Is it safe to delete everything in all these files?

Carafaraday 15:56 02 Jun 2003

I expect it is just me being dim but when I go to Windows\Temporary Internet Files, I don't find any folders - just the files which have arrived today. The files I am interested in seem to be invisible - except that McAfee spends ages ploughing its way through them when doing a scan. Could they be 'hidden' files, which I have to do something in order that I can see them? If so, what do I do? and is it still ok to zap them?

Many thanks for your comments so far.

Carafaraday 16:00 02 Jun 2003

Sorry - just tried to locate files through 'find' and there it is. Do I just delete these files including contents.ie5 file, or delete files and leave contents.ie5?

If you could be bothered to explain to me how these get created I would be most grateful. But I'm really pleased to have got this far anyway!

Carafaraday 20:39 02 Jun 2003

If anyone can add anything I'd be glad to know. I'm a bit wary of deleting stuff, but some of these files are BIG. Just don't know whether you delete only the content of files (with random 6P15JEF type names) or delete the files themselves. Also do I delete content.ie5, or leave it empty (hopefully) - anyone?

Carafaraday 22:42 02 Jun 2003

Thank you to everyone who responded.
I know I'm being dim but once again could someone spell out in very simple terms:-
do I just delete the contents of each file with the daft names G1FR6QP etc?
or can I delete the files themselves?
I seem to have at least 20 of them.

Carafaraday 09:06 03 Jun 2003

Thanks to everyone for their contributions. Hope to be brave enough to try Clean Up eventually but in the meantime will just delete the daft-named folders.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

Print legends Dan Mumford and Supermundane on making the leap from 2D to AR

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs