A mysterious folder keeps appearing

heidelberg 16:05 02 May 2018

Hello all I have recently found a folder entitled "CPSSystemFolderDon'tErase" in my documents folder. I haven't knowingly installed it, and consequently I delete it. It then reappears, probably the same day. Inside the folder are 7 files, 2 are word(different versions), 2 are excel(different versions, 1 powerpoint, 1 Adobe Acrobat and 1 a text document. Each says at the top "Do not delete this file - It is used by Check Point's SandBlast Agent to defend your computer against zero-day and targeted threats. Learn more about Check Point's SandBlast Agent" two companies are mentioned "CheckPoint Technologies Ltd." and "Sandblast AGENT" As I say when I delete them, they reappear next day. Can anyone help?

Dave

wee eddie 16:12 02 May 2018

What Anti virus and Security Software are you running?

CPSS gats a half-decent write up but nothing to suggest what you are experiencing

heidelberg 16:36 02 May 2018

Hi I am using Avast free AV, Zone Alarm free (both recently started), along with Malwarebytes free and Ccleaner free (the last two I have used for some time)

Dave

Pine Man 16:46 02 May 2018

Check Point Sandblast Agent is sometimes used by the Chrome browser.

heidelberg 16:55 02 May 2018

Hi I have been using chrome for years and the Check Point Sandblast Agent has only started appearing since I started using Avast and Zone Alarm in the last month.

Dave

Secret-Squirrel 16:55 02 May 2018

Inside the folder are 7 files, 2 are word(different versions), 2 are excel(different versions, 1 powerpoint, 1 Adobe Acrobat...................

That's all to do with your security software's anti-ransomware protection. It's all legitimate so stop tampering with those folders and stop worrying that there's something sinister going on.

heidelberg 16:59 02 May 2018

Thank you all for your help, and particularly Secret Squirrel for his solution. Rest assured I will stop deleting!

Dave

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HTC U12 Plus review: Hands-on

Best Android emulators for Mac

TV & Streaming : comment regarder Roland Garros ?