Hot Topics

My Windows 7 laptop won't connect to Internet

laptopdunce 16:09 24 Jun 2017

for me?? the geniuses who got the files out of my faulty laptop! Since getting a new windows 10 laptop my old windows 7 laptop (which was running fine) has now stopped connecting to internet, it shows the name of the network in the network centre and a strong signal icon, but the signal icon in the taskbar is only grey and wont connect to internet, so something has happened since I installed the windows 10 laptop, even talktalk cant seem to get this fixed, but I looked on google for similar problems and this came up from one site.....If you can use Ethernet but not wifi at her house and can use wifi at yours, I would first try to go under manage wireless networks and delete her router SSID and reconnect. If that does not work then try to uninstall the wifi chip from device manager and reinstall..........So I supsoect there is something wrong with how the W7 laptop actually connects to the internet, this W7 laptop will connect with the ethernet cable (but is impractical as the W7 laptop has got my printer connected in another room, So do you think it is possible to get it working again? it was fine yesterday so it cant be another faulty laptop, my alcatel phone has just logged on to the router fine and connected straight away. Hope the geniuses can help me with this one!!! thanks laptopdunce

laptopdunce 11:41 29 Jun 2017

by the way, do you get the "server has refused to fulfill your request when you try and open this link? click here is the link you sent first and then I went to the driverscape site on its own and searched for the AcerE5-511 laptop in the huge list of computers and it did download the zip file here on the same W8 laptop in The Netherlands, thanks laptopdunce

this

laptopdunce 02:26 02 Jul 2017

PS, a friend of mine in The Netherlands has just asked me if there is a Bluetooth USB manager in the Devices in the control panel on the laptop (and on the very same model laptop I have here in The Netherlands) there is!! in the device manager there is a bluetooth icon in the device manager and when I open that up with the little traingle on the left it brings up a window "bluetooth USB module properties) and on this laptop is says "this device is working properly" - The point being that this friend tells me that I should be able to connect a bluetooth keyboard and mouse via bluetooth to the faulty laptop in the UK if this Bluetooth USB module thing is working?? what do you think?? thanks laptopdunce

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:32 02 Jul 2017

Yes I had forgotten all about Bluetooth keyboards and mice.

laptopdunce 14:07 02 Jul 2017

I wonder if it will work?? I looked on my same E5-511 acer laptop here and on this one there IS a bluetooth icon in the device manager and it opens up and says it is operating properly, I guess it just remains to be seen if the same laptop model in the UK which still operates that USB fan but no other usb devices will actually work with a USB mouse and keyboard? Is there a way of testing this before I buy a bluetooth keyboard and mouse? and which keyboard/mouse would you buy? I can get something on ebay to arrive when I am there, I am only in UK from the 4th to the 11th this time, thanks laptopdunce

laptopdunce 14:26 02 Jul 2017

I would probably go for this one from Argos if this would work, its got a full size keyboard, there is a cheaper logitech one but some people in the reviews say the keyboard is too small, I need a full size keyboard with the nerve damage in fingers to operate a proper full size push down key keyboard. what do you think of this set? click here laptopdunce

thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:46 02 Jul 2017

That's a wireless keyboard works from a wireless dongle plugged into a USB port not from blue tooth.

You must make sure its states BLuetooth and not just wireless

laptopdunce 14:56 02 Jul 2017

Oh, so that wont work? so how does a true bluetooth keyboard communicate with the laptop? thanks laptopdunce

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:12 02 Jul 2017

There is a built in Bluetooth wireless card (check for it in device manager before buying a Bluetooth keyboard).

Check-if-Your-Computer-Has-Bluetooth

wireless keyboards do not work from the wireless card or bluetooth but from a wireless dongle specifically set for the keyboard placed in a working USB port.

lotvic 15:24 02 Jul 2017

there IS a bluetooth icon in the device manager and it opens up and says it is operating properly

that means a bluetooth card (a type of short range wifi) is already inside the laptop and you can 'pair' (tell each device to find/recognise each other) so that a bluetooth keyboard and a bluetooth mouse can control the laptop (you can also get Bluetooth headphones etc).

Picture of a typical Bluetooth card that will be inside a laptop click here

laptopdunce 15:35 02 Jul 2017

what do you think of this?? these ONLY bluetooth devices are quite expensive!! I found this microsoft one at Argos its £21 but I thought as it is ONLY bluetooth connectivity, at least I dont have to use that horrible "touchpad" if this will work with my 8.1 laptop in UK, if It does work OK I could always add a keyboard later, I guess you can have two different bluetooth devices connected?? Also as the "wireless" sets use this "transceiver" that goes into the USB port but doesnt use a driver would that not work on my USB ports given that there is power coming through there for operating the USB fan motor? what do you think? thanks laptopdunce click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to make yourself look better on a webcam

Doraemon postage stamps? Yes please!

Users report serious problems with macOS Catalina 10.15.4

Les clés Windows pas chères fonctionnent-elles ?