Hot Topics

My Windows 7 laptop won't connect to Internet

laptopdunce 16:09 24 Jun 2017

for me?? the geniuses who got the files out of my faulty laptop! Since getting a new windows 10 laptop my old windows 7 laptop (which was running fine) has now stopped connecting to internet, it shows the name of the network in the network centre and a strong signal icon, but the signal icon in the taskbar is only grey and wont connect to internet, so something has happened since I installed the windows 10 laptop, even talktalk cant seem to get this fixed, but I looked on google for similar problems and this came up from one site.....If you can use Ethernet but not wifi at her house and can use wifi at yours, I would first try to go under manage wireless networks and delete her router SSID and reconnect. If that does not work then try to uninstall the wifi chip from device manager and reinstall..........So I supsoect there is something wrong with how the W7 laptop actually connects to the internet, this W7 laptop will connect with the ethernet cable (but is impractical as the W7 laptop has got my printer connected in another room, So do you think it is possible to get it working again? it was fine yesterday so it cant be another faulty laptop, my alcatel phone has just logged on to the router fine and connected straight away. Hope the geniuses can help me with this one!!! thanks laptopdunce

bumpkin 19:08 26 Jun 2017

A longshot but type ipconfig at the command prompt and let us know the results.

difarn 20:30 26 Jun 2017

I have been following your posts with interest. I came across these suggestions on another forum in response to usb ports not working on a windows 8 laptop following updates. Maybe worth a try if you haven't already done so.

Step 1: Open Control Panel

Step 2: Click on System and Security

Step 3: Click on Change when the computer sleeps

Step 4: Click on Change advanced power settings

Step 5: Scroll down the list to the USB Settings node and expand it by clicking the + sign on the left.

Step 6: Expand the USB selective suspend setting node by clicking on the + sign to the left.

Step 7: Click on "On battery:" to activate the selection drop down and select "Disabled".

Step 8: Click on "Plugged in:" to activate the selection drop down and select "Disabled".

Step 9: Click OK to exit back to the Edit Plan Settings

Step 10: Click Save changes.

Step 11: Click the "X" in the upper right corner of the Edit Plan Setting dialogue to close Control Panel

lotvic 23:42 26 Jun 2017

difarn, see my post, page 3 @ 23:20 25 Jun 2017

difarn 00:21 27 Jun 2017

lotvic

I must admit that the posts became so involved that I overlooked your reply. Did laptopduce actually act on your advice?

laptopdunce 09:50 27 Jun 2017

tuesday, 27th, Actually, I took this laptop to a place in Mcr that has fantastic google reviews near the university where all the students take their stuff, I am away tomorrow till the 5th so they charge £20 to look at it and see if they can fix it, and then text you to let you know how much it will cost and if its worthwhile doing it, if it ends up being over £50 I will just pay the £20 examination fee and keep the laptop when I am back. I didnt notice these other posts from fruitbat and lotvic and difarn until just now. The man in the shop thinks it is a hardware issue from what he looked at when he had it on for a while, I think they are reliable and not rip-off merchants but all in all its been a nightmare with no prospect of any resolution, this is the shop it has gone to, their reviews are enormous and nearly all 100% href here

laptopdunce 10:47 27 Jun 2017

PS I know I got told off by the FE for asking specific members to help with this problem and offering payment for fixing this problem, I have to admit I wish I could get the W8 laptop working again as the new W10 one is not as fast as the W8 one and even just using the camera for uploading photos for ebay I found that when putting the SD card back in the camera it said "card corrupted" it did this on two cards and I only got it right by flipping the lock tab on the card to get it to take photos again in the camera!! AND loading 7mp photos to ebay takes AGES compared to the fantastic W8 laptop! so all in all not 100% happy with the new W10 one. But I dont think its the OS, more that this Intel core i5 is nowhere near the quality of the quad core intel N3530 processor in the W8 one. thanks laptopdunce

laptopdunce 12:36 27 Jun 2017

PPS!! I have just had the Compudos computer shop on the phone telling me that they have checked this laptop and they say that it is the "motherboard" that has lost connection to the USB ports, they say the computer is working fine otherwise and it would cost a fortune to replace the motherboard, so I am going to go and collect it and just pay the £20 inspection fee!! I still dont know if this is possible to fix?? what do you think?? obviously i dont know EXACTLY what they will have done to check the motherboard/USB ports, they do think that my putting that USB fan in it has damaged the connections, but to me it seems strange that a whole "motherboard" must be replaced!! Well, I will leave it here in Mcr and try anything else that anyone can suggest - Do YOU think the motherboard will need replacing? considering all the other functions work fine it seems strange that the motherboard will need a total replace just becuase of the connection to the USBs, Hey Ho - Laptopdunce

wee eddie 12:57 27 Jun 2017

LTD: one of the reasons for the potential high price of the new MOBO is that as they get older and therefor scarcer, spare parts start going up in price again

Jollyjohn 13:04 27 Jun 2017

The Motherboard is the heart of any computer, everything is connected to it, and in a laptop most components are actually soldered onto the motherboard. To strip the laptop down and remove the motherboard, test it to find the failed component, and the attempt to unsolder that component and solder in a replacement could easily cause more damage than it repairs. So therefore a replacement is needed.

If this had happened in a desktop PC then a USB / PCI expansion card could be installed to give working USB ports, possibly, unless it is the USB controller that has failed, then nothing would replace the USB ports.

If everything else is working on the laptop then it is still useable. A workaround to move files on / off the laptop would be to use an SD Card. I think from reading your posts there is an SD card slot on the laptop? If so use an SD card instead of a USB stick.

laptopdunce 15:58 27 Jun 2017

I have got the laptop back now, I have done what difarn said at 2030 yesterday about going into system& security and disabling the USB slecective settings from enabled on battery to disabled (should I restart the computer now after this?) I have also done what Bumpkin suggested in the command prompt ipconfig and that brings up a black page but I dont know what I am looking for there? bumpkin doesnt actually say what it is supposed to achieve or show?? As it stands I have the laptop back, they tell me it will cost £180 plus to replace the motherboard which is untenable really, but I still cant believe that only using one of those USB fans has caused all this damange, given that it FLASHES the light on a USB stick with a red light on it there must be some sort of a connection there for it to flash the bulb if only momentarily on the USB stick, the last post from Jollyjohn isnt really a solution as I have already moved the files with this home network to the other computer (and a seperate USB hard drive for extra safety) my prime object is to use this W8 laptop with an apart mouse and keyboard which obviously it cannot do at present - it is a pity there isnt a connection via the SD card slot to connect a keyboard and mouse, still just cant believe all this damage has been done by a simple fan. As for the command prompt page what am I supposed to be looking for? I have made a screenshot of it just to check if you come back and tell me what it is supposed to show? thanks laptopdunce

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to start your spring clean

D'oh! Simpsons infographic shows how bad the show's become

Users report serious problems with macOS Catalina 10.15.4

Amazon Prime Day 2020