Hot Topics

My Windows 7 laptop won't connect to Internet

laptopdunce 16:09 24 Jun 2017

for me?? the geniuses who got the files out of my faulty laptop! Since getting a new windows 10 laptop my old windows 7 laptop (which was running fine) has now stopped connecting to internet, it shows the name of the network in the network centre and a strong signal icon, but the signal icon in the taskbar is only grey and wont connect to internet, so something has happened since I installed the windows 10 laptop, even talktalk cant seem to get this fixed, but I looked on google for similar problems and this came up from one site.....If you can use Ethernet but not wifi at her house and can use wifi at yours, I would first try to go under manage wireless networks and delete her router SSID and reconnect. If that does not work then try to uninstall the wifi chip from device manager and reinstall..........So I supsoect there is something wrong with how the W7 laptop actually connects to the internet, this W7 laptop will connect with the ethernet cable (but is impractical as the W7 laptop has got my printer connected in another room, So do you think it is possible to get it working again? it was fine yesterday so it cant be another faulty laptop, my alcatel phone has just logged on to the router fine and connected straight away. Hope the geniuses can help me with this one!!! thanks laptopdunce

laptopdunce 17:33 25 Jun 2017

PPS, I went into the device manager again on the W8 and checked the two things that are showing under the Universal Bus controller heading, and clicked to update the driver from the internet, it came up that the latest updates were installed and the device is working properly for USB 3 and the other one, but of course they dont work. Someone told met to take the battery out of the laptop and shut it down and take the power cord out and hold the power button down for 1 minute then let it stand for 10 mins then restart - still the same!! no usb ports - this MUST be solvable somehow?? Laptopdunce

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:49 25 Jun 2017

Something to try:

Edit the registry and delete the filter(s) data. Reboot and let Windows rebuild the default filters.

1. Create a Restore Point, and/or backup the registry.
  2. Run Regedit.exe or regedt32.exe
  3. Search for

HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class{36FC9E60-C465- 11CF-8056-444553540000}

4. On the right pane, look for upperfilters and/or lowerfilters
  5. Double click or right click to pop up the data window.
  6. Usually the data name is "usbfilter".
  7. Delete "usbfilter".
  8. Close registry editing.
  9. Reboot (a must).
  laptopdunce 18:11 25 Jun 2017

this looks complicated, how do I actually "edit the registry" (where do I go to do this??) So, Do I have to do 1, make a restore point now on the W8 laptop of how it now is? 2, Do I copy and paste the Regedit.exe or regedt32.exe into the search box in the start menu? 3, if I have put the regedit.exe in the search box, then where do I put the next ( HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class{36FC9E60-C465- 11CF-8056-444553540000} ) ?? dont understand that bit if I have already put regedit.exe in the search box in start menu? this is why it all looks greek when I look at it, I am a dunce after all!! 4. where will the the "right pane" be? have I got the gist of it right in putting regedit.exe in the search box after Ihave made the restore point - I have just made the restore point called USBNIGHTMARE 25-06-17 so that is a start, just need to know where to put this regedit.exe thing in? thanks laptopducne

laptopdunce 18:42 25 Jun 2017

PS, Oh, I think I get it now, its in the "run" title in the start menu where I put the regedit.exe thing? I guess then it will come up with a window where I can put that long " HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class{36FC9E60-C465- 11CF-8056-444553540000} " text?? I will have to try this on the W8 laptop and try and copy and paste that long text on W8 with the touchpad that I HATE (am on my w10 laptop now doing my ebays......) will let you know how I get on..... Laptopdunce

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:54 25 Jun 2017

win key + r - type regedit - press enter

In regeditor make a backup, navigate to HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class{36FC9E60-C465- 11CF-8056-444553540000}

there can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before you change the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values.

If you see UpperFilters in the pane on the right side, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.

Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry. If you see LowerFilters in the pane on the right side, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.

Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

laptopdunce 19:27 25 Jun 2017

Jesus Christ this is IMPOSSIBLE for a novice!! I dont think I can do this!!! its ABSURDLY COMPLICATED!!! I have made a rstore point as I said and I thought you just put the regedit.exe thing in the run box in the start menu, then there is all this to do!! these things are NEVER exactly as you say they are in my computer!! How do I make a backup in regedit?? I just dont understand this at all!! I have made a restore point and now you say made a back up in the regedit, how the hell do I do that?? then you say there are many instances of the registry sub key as in point 2 (what does that meaan?? it doesnt make any sense to me??? what instances in registry sub key?? how will I know what is a registry sub key if I have neveer seen one, you know this is just getting IMPOSSIBLE!! I am prepared to send this laptop to you and pay for you to post it back me if you think you can fix it?? I dont think is in any way tenable for a novice to do thanks laptopdunce

laptopdunce 19:35 25 Jun 2017

the other big problem with this sh7t touchpad is that its IMPOSSIBLE to highlight and copy and paste anything!! OH THIS UTTERLY IMPOSSIBLE!!!

laptopdunce 19:43 25 Jun 2017

I managed to get into registry via the run menu, only with regedit.exe (it wont accept regedit32.exe) then it brought up a window that shows a large empty pane on the right and then on a narrow pane on the left there is "computer" with 5 folders called H Key classes root, H key current user hkey local machine hkeyusers H keycurrent_configuration - so you see it brought up something that is TOTALLY DIFFERENT to what you said it would!! I just KKNEW this would happen!! its like trying to learn chess from a book in chinese!!! ITS A NIGHTMARE!! laptopducne

laptopdunce 19:47 25 Jun 2017

trying to decypher this like the enigma code!!! when i click on the HKeylocalmachine it brings up only a short line in the large right had side box that says " AB ( little icon with orange letters AB in it) then (default) then under heading Type it says REG-SZ then under heading data it says (value not set) so what happens now?? I jsut dont know what to do??? laptopdunce

laptopdunce 19:56 25 Jun 2017

If I understand this right there SHOULD be something about USB value under the heading "data"?? but there is nothing, only "value not set" the only thing that is clickable in the right pant is under "name" the orange icon "AB" and (default), if I click on the AB icon it only brings up a window that says Modify!! Ah!! I have just tested clicking on the 5 different H-Key tabs in left pane and if I double click ont he H_keylocal machine one it brings down 6 different folders, which are titled - BCD000000, HARDWARD, SAM, SECURITY, SOFTWARE AND SYSTEM - is this where I should be looking?? you see this is just UTTERLY TOTALLY DIFFERENT to what you said it would say and I dont want to make a total b&lls of it!! I am sure you can see that an "average" person cannot do this unless you are actually with a "person" who can see the same thing that I am getting, it bears no relation to what you said it should??? thanks laptopdunce

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Apple and Google pull Fortnite from app stores, Epic Games sues Apple

Best art and design exhibitions still happening in 2020

Should I buy the new iMac?

Les bons plans sport et bien-ĂȘtre (2020)