My windows 7 laptop has really slowed down.

alibob1526 17:02 21 Feb 2014

My Win 7 laptop is really slow starting & I seem to have programs that I am not sure are needed or not. I am wondering if I should connect to an external hard drive on which I backed up my laptop when first bought & try to re install back to the start. If I decide to go ahead with this, is there anything I need to do,IE: delete things ETC' or do I just connect the hard drive, will this delete or override everything on my PC.?

iscanut 20:52 03 Mar 2014

Acronis is a very good commercial backup suite of programs which allow you to back up the whole of your system, or a few folders or individual files..It comes at a price though...click here do not really need it if it is only your data that you need to backup. I would not unistall any of the windows backup files.

You

iscanut 20:53 03 Mar 2014

Sorry, don't know how the "You" got misplaced !

mole1944 06:39 04 Mar 2014

I use Acronis myself once your system is working ok i clone the drive, if you have a Western digital drive on or attached to your system you can get a free verson from Western digital from there site. i use two drives alternately to clone for my desktop and clone one a week, sometimes more if i have installed a big program. Have you thought of using a clickfree drive to save all your data,literally plug in USB plug takes a few minutes for initial save dependant on the amount of data to be saved after that it scans and only saves new and altered items, again i use two alternate drives i have a clickfree dongle (No longer available)so i use my own drives,i have over 66,000 legal music tracks so loosing them would be a disaster,yes they did cost lots you do the math. I know this doesn't fix your immediate problem but might help in the future, if my desktop drive goes pear shaped i can be up and running in 5 minutes, my drive is a tad under 500gb and takes 3.5 hours to clone with Acronis.

alibob1526 09:35 04 Mar 2014

Thank you to all techies who respond to my questions, some of which must seem daft to those who know a lot about pc's, unfortunately I don't, so Thanks again. You people help us novices a great deal.

mole1944 14:58 04 Mar 2014

All part of our service we're a good crowd here,mind you step out of line and F.E. cracks a mean whip and quite so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Apple unveils first ‘pro’ iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max

InDesign at 20: how Adobe beat Quark to become the graphic design tool of choice

iPhone 11 Pro confirmed: Release date, price & specs

Les meilleures montres connectées (2019)