My revitalised laptop now asks for password to enter the BIOS...

Aitchbee 18:34 26 Dec 2011
Answered

It's a Packard Bell Easynote L4. It had a fault hard drive - but I could access the Bios by hitting F2 key.

After a successful hard drive upgrade, I now get asked to enter a password, if I want to get into the Bios configuration page.

I have downloaded a Bios upgrade from the PB website ( along with drivers), and wonder if, by updating the bios, which is now on a bootable CD, this might resolve (reset) the Bios problem.

Is it worth the risk, as the laptop is booting into XP and is working well?

Aitchbee 18:52 26 Dec 2011

...I forgot to add that I tried replacing the original faulty hard drive into the laptop to see if the Bios page was still accessible - no joy.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:52 26 Dec 2011

unplug from mains

remove battery

remove Cmos battery for 10 mins

replace all and retry.

Aitchbee 19:59 26 Dec 2011

Fruit Bat - how do I remove CMOS battery?

I will try what you suggest regarding the laptop battery which I think is also past it's working life.

lotvic 20:14 26 Dec 2011

Usual way to clear password is to remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes, though don't know if that is an easy job with a laptop. There are other ways to try, do a google for: manufacturer backdoor bios password

Be careful, I believe some bios's will lock you out of the system completely if you type in an incorrect password more than 3 times. That's why taking out CMOS battery is safest way.

Aitchbee 20:35 26 Dec 2011

Thanks for responses.

Fruit Bat - I removed main battery for over 15 mins, and then re-inserted.

There was a high-pitched sound which stopped when I pressed on the power button. I still get the password prompt, but everything loads as normal...it boots up XP when I hit the 'ESC' key as suggested at the Bios entry password stage.

Lotvic - opening up the laptop is not on my todo list. :o) but I will follow up your suggestions.

rdave13 - will check out your link tomoro.

Off to watch university challenge now. Thanks.

Aitchbee 20:40 26 Dec 2011

...did drive upgrade myself...I should have written down important bios settings before doing so...not to worry as laptop is working OK apart from Bios lock-out.

Aitchbee 22:24 26 Dec 2011

The laptop was given to me a few weeks ago...not working. It's working ok now after my buying new hard drive, installing it with a genuine XP upgrade disk, and driver updates.The Bios problem is just an annoyance. The XP upgrade disk prompted me for a genuine Windows Disk, which I did do, before installation, which was successfully activated by a phone call.

My main query was about upgrading the Bios with a bootable CD, which has a BIOS upgrade on it.It(the CD)boots ok - but I don't want to perform the upgrade....'are you sure you want to do this?' as I have a computer which is working OK apart from no access to Bios.

Aitchbee 22:38 26 Dec 2011

I think I might leave things as they are.

If it ain't broke...leave well alone!

Aitchbee 22:46 26 Dec 2011

rdave13 - wildo tomoro, thanks for help.

SparkyJack 11:22 27 Dec 2011

opening up the laptop is not on my todo list. :o) b

Fair comment- but don't be afeared. you may not have to 'dig' to deeply.

Depends on individual machines build of course- but simply removing the memory hatch may also reveal the battery- this is certainly the case with a Fujitsu I am playing[learning] with.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi 9 Release Date, Price & Spec Rumours

Illustrator Owen Davey on how he's created a successful series of animal-themed children's picture…

MacBook Pro 2019 release date, 16in MacBook Pro news and rumours

Xiaomi Mi 9 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs