My PC's DVD drive just chatters on FSX install

Bob C 12:29 11 Aug 2019

I know the disks are OK, they work perfectly on other laptops etc.

It's just my PC - Disk 1 goes in and then chatters for at least 90+ minutes before reading enough to begin installation. Same with Disk 2 and the third, Acceleration disk.

I've tried changing drive hardware, reset DVD drivers, also used plug-in drives, plus increased the power supply. Sometimes, the change works for a first attempt … but then always reverts back to the old problem.

Any ideas what I can do to solve this would be really welcome please!!

grumpy old man 16:49 11 Aug 2019

Two things to try , go to specsavers and get a packet of glasses cleaners I a green box they are £3 , wipe the disc with one of the cloths and let the stuff evaporate of the discs , discs are supposed to be foolproof but even something like a thumb print can stop them working.

Alternatively you can get a cd lens cleaner that can be used on a cd player or a pc disc drawer , it is basically a cd disc with tiny brushes on , all you do is put the disc in the drawer and let it spin a few times and remove it.

type cd lens cleaner into your browser and it will come up with loads of places you can buy them from

Bob C 12:33 13 Aug 2019

Already been there and got the t-shirt! The player is also brand new.

As I mentioned before, the mega question is what's causing the program to not play in my PC when it readily will in the whole of PC World's display stock of laptops!!

Any other ideas please?

wee eddie 13:47 13 Aug 2019

Excuse me, but I see no mention of DVD Reading Software

Menzie 14:57 13 Aug 2019

Flight Simulator X has a method of copy protection that many PCs don't like. It looks like yours is one of them.

Many things can cause issues with running the game from a DVD, including Internet Security software, antivirus, certain system drivers or even the type of optical drive you use.

Bob C 14:26 14 Aug 2019

Hello Menzie

Yes, antivirus (Panda) was disabled during the attempt to load up.

The point you make about copy protection feels fairly plausible, yet equally defies logic of why the program loads quite happily on other equipment. I can't believe I'm the only user to have discovered a driver conflict in my system to cause this!

The DVD drive is brand new - an ATAPI iHAS124 - which accepted the first disk without problem but reverted back to the same old problem when loading up the second.

Plus the problem never even hints at arising when loading / installing any of the other seriously big programs I use such as Photoshop.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

Beck album covers ranked – his best artwork from the '90s to now

Best iPhone & iPad games 2019

iPhone SE 2 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs